- This event has passed.
Motivational Interviewing (MI) Course – 9 & 16th February 2022
February 9 @ 08:00 - 17:00
Professor Jeff Breckon will be leading the training for a Combined Level 1+ (Introductory) Practitioner workshop in Motivational Interviewing at the AWRC in February 2022 (Wednesday 9 & Wednesday 16 February 2022 (2 days contact + 1 day DL))
The SHU MI workshop series, now in its 17th year, has been delivered to over 3500 front line health professionals and practitioners across the world. Training and supervision is offered for those wishing to develop skills in Motivational Interviewing (MI), whatever their experience levels or work setting. The introductory workshop enables practitioners from a range of settings to experience the application of MI and develop skills and awareness of MI ‘spirit’, as well as micro-skills (OARS), and change/sustain talk. It includes a two-day experiential workshop with an additional 1-day distance learning (DL) component.
The Level 1+ Practitioner Workshop will introduce, develop and evaluate skills in MI, exploring individuals’ ambivalence to change from risk behaviours. The main aims and objectives of the course are:
- to understand and be able to apply the technical (OARS) and relational (spirit) components of MI, embedded within the four processes (engagement, focusing, evoking and planning)
- to develop skills in exploring a client’s ambivalence and readiness for change
- to identify effective methods of communication techniques for initial and ongoing consultation sessions
- to enable counsellors to encourage clients’ self-efficacy and self-responsibility for change
- to develop skills within the counsellor that will aid the client to move through the stages of behaviour change including maintenance and relapse prevention
Cost: External attendee: £295 per person; SHU Staff/Student: £150 per person
Deadline to register your interest: Friday 28 January 2022
Register here: Registration link
Complete the pre-registration form here.
Further information can be found on the accompanying poster