Two courses exist to prepare doctoral researchers for teaching and lecturing in higher education – a four-session delivered programme called Teaching Skills for Doctoral Students (TSDS), and an online course via Epigeum called University Teaching: Core Skills (UT:CS).
Generally, doctoral researchers should do the TSDS course before undertaking teaching at the University, although under some circumstances (relating to the timing or capacity of TSDS) the UT:CS course can be done in lieu.
UT:CS can also be undertaken voluntarily by anyone at any time, to upskill themselves, or as a refresher for those with some teaching experience.
Please note that neither of these courses are credit-bearing. The HEA-accredited PgCert Learning and Teaching is the advanced programme in this area.
Teaching Skills for Doctoral Students
TSDS consists of four sessions:
1. Introduction to teaching in HE – Setting the scene; teaching at Sheffield Hallam University
2. Session planning and ‘delivery’ – How to plan effective sessions
3. Active learning – introduction and exploration of active learning approaches
4. Personal approaches / theories – relating personal approaches to teaching with theoretical ideas
The first session is compulsory, and participants must attend at least three out of four sessions (including the first one) to complete the course and also complete a minimum of 3 pieces of self-directed assessment.
The course runs twice a year – November and February. Please complete the Google doc on the following link to register your interest in being included in the next cohort https://goo.gl/forms/x7e1CaWcr6jJsaBm2 There are a limited number of places available on each cohort and the Faculty Heads of Research Degrees (HORDs) will decide who is eligible for a place from their Faculty. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Relating to registration and waiting lists – email@example.com
Academic queries – firstname.lastname@example.org
University Teaching: Core Skills
University Teaching: Core Skills is an online course hosted by Epigeum which consists of six strands:
- Strand 1: Introduction – Your Role in University Teaching and Learning;
- Strand 2: Planning and Preparing Learning Activities;
- Strand 3: Teaching and Supporting Learning;
- Strand 4: Assessment and Feedback;
- Strand 5: Addressing Barriers to Student Success;
- Strand 6: Reviewing your Teaching
UT:CS can be accessed by using the weblink https://courses.epigeum.com/ . You will need to create an account using your SHU email address and further guidance on this can be found on this link Please ensure that you don’t use a personal email address to create your account and don’t pay for any modules, as payments made in error cannot be refunded. All modules are covered by the SHU subscription, which is accessed by using your SHU email address.