- This event has passed.
Independent Chair/Examiner Workshop
October 18 @ 10:00 - 13:00
PLEASE NOTE – THIS IS AN ADDITIONAL SESSION DUE TO THE LEVEL OF DEMAND – the content is the same as that on 21 September
The workshop is intended to be of benefit to a wide range of Sheffield Hallam staff with an interest in, or responsibility for, research degree student examinations. It is likely to be of particular interest to inexperienced research degree examiners and inexperienced independent chairs and staff who are considering putting themselves forward for either or both of these roles.
- to raise awareness of the University’s Research Degree Examination Procedures;
- to explore the roles of the internal and external examiner and independent chair;
- to provide an opportunity for sharing good practice;
- to encourage debate on the issues around the definition and maintenance of research degree standards;
- to explore the management and conduct of the viva voce examination.
- to become familiar with the requirements of learning contracts in vivas
We will also be discussing the different formats of vivas available.
The workshop will be facilitated by Professor Doug Cleaver (Sheffield Hallam Doctoral School Director) and Dr Nicola Palmer (Head of Doctoral Training) with contributions from experienced staff. The session will be delivered face to face on campus only – it is not suitable for hybrid delivery.
Please direct any queries to: email@example.com
This session is for SHU staff only and not open to Students. Please note that if you are a member of staff currently studying for a doctorate, you will not be eligible to act as an Examiner or Independent Chair until after you have received your award.
Please book your place via our booking form and you will be sent a calendar invitation.