The SHU Doctoral Showcase competition is new for 2019 and provides an opportunity for selected doctoral students to exhibit their research as part of the University Creating Knowledge Conference on 17 June. As you approach the mid to late stages of your doctoral research project, it gives you an opportunity to practice communicating your research, and its potential impact, in a clear and succinct way for a non-specialist audience. Exhibition pieces can use a combination of various media such as posters, video and objects. There are prizes for the winner of each Faculty, plus the overall winner.
- The Doctoral Showcase competition is open to doctoral researchers at the post-RF2 stage who have not submitted their thesis by the date of the Creating Knowledge Conference (17 June 2019).
- Entrants will be asked to provide a non-specialist summary and proposal for an exhibition piece which will be reviewed by a panel comprising the Doctoral School Director and senior academics from each Faculty.
- Shortlisted finalists will be invited to take part in the showcase event at the conference and offered support to develop their public engagement skills.
Judging will be based on the following criteria:
- clarity of message about the originality of the research and its potential outcomes/impact
- ability to explain the underpinning research aims and choice of method(s)
- relevant outside a single field, and ability to excite those working in other disciplines
- appropriateness for a non-specialist, academic audience
Showcase pieces should be visually appealing, well presented and coherent and designed to engage an academic, non-specialist audience.
Deadline for entries
Please complete the electronic form Doctoral Showcase Entry form by Monday 15 April 2019 (5pm) for consideration by the review panel.
If you are selected to proceed to the next stage you will be invited to a review session (date TBC) where you will have the opportunity to discuss your ideas with your peers and receive support in developing your public engagement skills. A small amount of funding will be available to cover limited costs for your showcase piece.
Finalists will need to be available to present their showcase piece on Monday 17 June 2019 at the all-day Creating Knowledge Conference at City Campus.
Queries can be directed via email@example.com
Slides from the briefing session are here Doctoral Showcase 2019 briefing