Inclusivity, Diversity, and Student Wellbeing Award – 2024

Awarded for enabling and championing inclusivity and diversity, promoting student wellbeing, and/or contributing to campaigns for social justice.

Presented by Sam Coulby – Senior Business Partner for Equity, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion

Damilare Oyetunji

College of Business, Technology & Engineering

Photo of award winner holding certificate and trophy

What they did:

As the Event Officer for a Student Society, the individual took charge of organizing a Cultural event to celebrate Nigerian Independence. This involved meticulous planning, coordination with various stakeholders, collaboration with the student union and overseeing the execution of diverse cultural activities and events. In a similar fashion, the individual conceptualized and executed an innovative networking event aimed at enhancing engagement within the Student Society. This involved designing interactive activities, inviting guest speaker, and creating an inclusive environment for networking.

What was the impact?

The cultural event was a resounding success, attracting a large audience of 95 students and showcasing the rich cultural heritage of Nigeria. It had the Student Union officers in attendance and senior academic staff of the university. The impact was not only limited to the immediate success of the cultural event but also contributed to fostering a sense of community and cultural understanding among students from different backgrounds. Because the individual ensured that other students from different cultural backgrounds are invited to partake in the event, it featured diversity of culture. It also promoted inclusivity among the students as there was avenue for students from other culture to display their tradition.
The networking event was also successful as it increased participation and engagement among society members. It provided a platform for students to connect, share experiences, and build valuable networks. The impact was not only on the immediate success of the event but also on strengthening the overall sense of community within university.

How it inspired others

The individual’s hands-on approach, attention to detail, and ability to navigate the complexities of organizing a cultural event inspired other students at the university. Seeing the individual’s commitment and successful execution motivated fellow students to actively participate in similar initiatives and embrace leadership roles within the society. Similarly, the individual laid a good example of diversity and inclusion among students which the society now imbibe whenever they want to come up with an event.
The individual’s creative approach to fostering engagement inspired other society members to think innovatively about their initiatives. It demonstrated that leadership goes beyond routine tasks and involves finding unique ways to bring people together. This inspiration resulted in a more proactive and creative approach to planning future events.

Asli Garane, Iye Orok, Haadiyah Abdulla, & Raymond Amoako Bempa

College of Health, Wellbeing & Life Sciences

Photo of award winners holding certificates and trophies

What they did:

The four students are the student co leads and have gone above and beyond in contributing towards race equity work across the HWLS college.
Student 1 – Has been involved since they started as a student and is now completing their 3rd year, they have been central and taken a lead role. Has attended and delivered new student inductions, attended all meetings, made suggestions such as the safe space drop ins, workshops and has co-facilitated the Diverse Voices in Health annual conference being the chair at last years conference. Also attends all recruitment open days and holds a HWLS minoritised stall. Is also present at fairs and events and is a reassuring and compassionate listener to students who have worries or concerns. Has encourage and been supportive of the newer members.
Student 2 – joined as co-lead this year and has attended all nursing induction events and spoke as confidence developed. Also attended the nursing fair and students were naturally drawn to them and found to be very approachable. Was a speaker at the recent student experiences workshop and spoke of experiences and how they managed.
Student 3 – Joined this year but brought a wealth of experience as dept student rep. They led the opening of the prayer rooms in Robert Winston building and together wit Student 1 and other students raised over £500 for charity. Has also made suggestions and carried out duties around disseminating information, attends meeting and drop ins to support racially minoritised students.
Student 4- Joined this year has attended meetings and participated in the student experiences workshop alongside other co-leads
They all continue to contribute with plans already in place to facilitate a Microaggressions workshop, they’re all helping with university events and volunteer their time, they are involved in current preparations for this years conference, they also update the Google site and support students as part of their role whilst always supervised by myself and other academic co-lead.

What was the impact?

They have raised the profile of race equity and this helps students who have challenges to access support and attend the safe space drop in to share and create networks. They held an allyship workshop and encourage all to have a role in eradicating racism with unprecedented numbers of white staff and students now attending monthly workshops. They contribute ideas that helps student experience and belonging of racially minoritised students and will lead which means the workshops and events are what students ask for. We have more students coming forward and staff have also valued their input and voice.

How it inspired others

We have had students who did not see themselves in these spaces now asking to participate and make suggestions – their feedback has been central to many changes such as curriculum and placement processes

Gabriel Okafor

College of Social Sciences and Arts

What they did:

They are one of our Student Leaders working within our student led steering group Manifest Diversity. In October x co-led a student cohort through a week of events at Black Business Week which was experienced as transformative by all who went as evidenced by feedback from them at the end of the week. Students felt represented by the young black professionals in attendance and could see first hand that they can succeed in law and business because they had the opportunity to speak to successful black lawyers and business entrepreneurs about their own route into employment and offers of mentorship were also forthcoming. In addition they created a short video presentation of the week to use to advertise future events. and together with staff member are now working with staff and students in BTE who wish to emulate the experience within SHU, and we hope they will be involved again this year, but this time as a graduate.
In addition they are also working collaboratively with colleagues in Law to help us decolonise the curriculum and ensure the learning and teaching materials encompass the student voice as central to our offer. As well as helping with the codesign of materials, x is the person staff turn to when they are unsure of phrasing and wording of inclusive materials across the offer.
Furthermore, they have been key is helping to ensure representation at recruitment events and is always willing to answer questions from students considering applying to SHU

What was the impact?

Black Business week was described as transformative by all who attended – please find some direct quotes below:
1. “the event was eye opening, I never knew how many sectors I could really go into in law, this event allowed me to really plan my future and as a black women my mum always told me we have to work that much harder to stand out in this society. So to see so many successful black people it was inspirational. I suffer from anxiety meaning it’s hard for me to interact with people – however this event has really built my confidence. For example, at the start I needed to be with someone to approach someone but near the end of the event I was able to approach people myself. I also learnt before getting into law that this industry is a lot about who you know. I managed to exchange contacts with lawyers and barristers. Some gave excellent advice and some told me to stay in contact for when I am looking for work.”
2. “I am letting you know how much I enjoyed and benefitted from our week’s trip. I gained so much insight into different sectors of law as well as possible alternative career paths, this has helped me have an understanding of what I want to do in the future. We were also given so much good advice from professionals within the sector and got to connect and network with many individuals. I feel like this experience has allowed me to have a deeper understanding of my course, and possible career paths as well as valuable advice from possible mentors. I would love the opportunity to attend this event again next year as well as encourage younger students to attend”
3. “A MUST GO EVENT! The event was more than just a networking opportunity; it highlighted the resilience, innovation, and brilliance of black business professionals in the UK. It served as a powerful testament to the immense talent within our community. For institutions like Hallam, which have a limited representation of black students, such events are indispensable. They offer a unique platform for students like myself to feel seen and empowered. Every event that I went to during the 5-day trip was amazing, in my opinion flawless. This event is like the beating heart of black business excellence. The exploration day was a phenomenal idea as it gave us the opportunity to explore the city and autonomy to make our trip unique.”
4. “There are so many reasons as to why I would encourage for this event to be happen every year: It’s a life changing experience that encourages and motivates ethnic students especially of black/African/ British/ Irish backgrounds to have a broad approach as to what kind of career they want. As a law student going to most of the events in the black opportunities’ week has changed my view on what path I want to take, it has made me realise that I want to be more than just a solicitor. Many of the black women and men have inspired me to get my law degree but do more with it even as to giving back to the community through different ways, even also giving more representation of the black community by exploring different career routes.”
As mentioned, once the feedback was circulated, colleagues in Business immediately wanted to plan their own version of the event.
All staff who are currently working with them on the curriculum and at Open Days/ recruitment events find X polite and friendly, a perfect ambassador for our University/ College and Department and always willing to go that little bit further to support their peers.

How it inspired others

As outlined above, the Black Business Week had a huge impact on the attendees and has directly resulted in BTE setting up a day based on the events which they co-led as a Student Leader for the London trip, so in effect they inspired not only those students on the trip, but also staff within the institution.
They has a very calm approach and is thoroughly relatable, staff involved in working on decolonising the curriculum are inspired by stories of how they have seen/ heard/ felt learning and teaching materials previously and can see why representation is so important because of those stories.
I have no doubt we will have students begin their studies with us in September as a direct result of conversations they have had with them at recruitment events.