Nervous about starting uni?

Who isn’t, right? There is so much going on before starting university. Everything from finding the perfect accommodation, packing the essentials, being eager to know your flatmates, getting familiar with the curriculum, which sometimes can leave you with a big hole in your stomach.

But don’t worry, you are not the only one and thousands of students have been in your position before. This article will give you a quick reality check by dismantling some myths and worrying thoughts before starting your first year. This will hopefully make you feel less anxious, nervous and more in control of what will happen.

What if I don’t along with my flatmates?

The truth is, you can’t control how your flatmates will behave, but one thing you can do in order to have the best experience living with them, is to set some ground rules.

What worked for me is to have a basic cleaning schedule for the communal areas such as bathroom, kitchen and living room. Each day can be assigned to a different person and they need to tidy up the space. In reality, don’t expect this schedule to work every day, but at least everyone has some guidance on how to keep the flat clean.

Nevertheless, communication is key. If you have to get up early the next day or you have a week full of exams, kindly let them know in advance so as to agree on bed time (i.e. when to turn the music down or when not to have flat parties).

Is there anything fun to do in Sheffield?

Whether you are a foodie, an outdoor explorer or passionate about social life, Sheffield has something for you.

Italian, Chinese, Vietnamese and Portuguese restaurants, lots of cafes and pubs, parks, Peak District, wall climbing centre, adventure parks, bowling, golf, karting and cinemas – you will find something fun to do every weekend.

Visiting Chatsworth House just outside Sheffield, a lovely cappuccino with Victoria sponge at Tabby Teas – my favourite cat café in the town centre and bowling at Hollywood Bowl with my parents when they visited are my top experiences which made me fall in love with Sheffield.

What if studying at uni is too hard? What if I don’t pass my exams or assignments?

Attending university will definitely challenge your power of studying and writing high-quality academic articles, but your tutors and lecturers are there to support you along the way. Sheffield Hallam offers so many resources for you to make sure you not only pass all the exams and assignments with flying colours, but you get the most recent information about your course which will serve you well after graduation.

Adsetts and Collegiate libraries are packed with all the books and articles required for your course. They have multiple copies, so you don’t need to worry you won’t get one. Also, most of them can be found online on the library website. Your tutors will organise multiple one-to-one meetings with you in order to check your work and to make sure you are on track. Studiosity and Hallam Help are another two amazing places where you can easily get feedback and support for your assignments and exams.

Nevertheless, it’s up to you how much work you put in, but one thing that I found out is that the amount of effort you invest will definitely pay off on the final grades.

What if I can’t find a part-time job when I start uni?

Finding a part-time job to suit your uni schedule and other personal commitments is not easy, but far from impossible. My top recommendation is to wait for the final version of your uni timetable and once you know your availability, you can start applying for jobs.

There are loads of cafes, restaurants and pubs in Sheffield looking for staff all the time, therefore as long as you have your CV ready and your cheerful personality, there shouldn’t be a problem in finding a job whilst studying. Unihub is a great place to look for jobs, especially if you are keen to get some experience valuable for your degree.

The Career & Employability Centre at SHU is amazing on giving guidance on how to write a good CV and how to prepare for an interview.

As soon as I moved to Sheffield, I found my first part-time job in events hospitality. Soon after that I tried other jobs in sales and fundraising for a non-profit organisation. Therefore, it’s safe to say there are multiple jobs to be explored – see what suits your schedule and preferences.

Let me know if this article has been useful and if you have any questions about studying at Sheffield Hallam or living in Sheffield, feel free to contact me anytime on socials:

Instagram: @danielabaicoianu

Twitter: @danibaicoianu

LinkedIn: Daniela Baicoianu

Facebook: Daniela Baicoianu

Written by #HallamInsider Daniela Baicoianu