Academic Contacts and Communications
- Academic Leadership Roles – such as: Academic Advisers ** Course Leaders ** External Examiners ** Module Leaders.
- College / Departmental Roles – such as:
- Academic Development & Diversity (ADD) Team
- Student Experience, Teaching and Learning (SETL)
- Student and Academic Services (SAS)
- SHU Parent and Carer Staff Network
- All staff contacts
- Academic Essentials – ‘what’s new for’
- SAScade – monthly new bulletin from Student and Academic Services (SAS)
- SITS communications – communications to staff in relation to changes or issues with the SITS system and associated student lifecycle processes
- University’s Internal Communications Team which includes Academic Digest * Beyond Covid Update * Hallam Managers Brief * College communications
Academic Leadership Roles
Student Allocations: Hallam students have an Academic Adviser allocated to them at the beginning of Semester 1/2 and will have contact with them at least 3 times per academic year to discuss their Academic Progression Development – Personal Development and Professional Development.
What are our Academic Advisers? Academic Advisers are members of the teaching team within the Colleges and Departments. Each College / Department has an AA Lead and all the AA staff names are listed on the Academic Adviser staff list.
Responsibility for the Hallam Academic Advising Framework: Currently sits with Neil McKay – Dean of Students – firstname.lastname@example.org – 0114 225 2760 and Melissa Jacobi – Academic Director (Academic Advising) – email@example.com – 0114 225 5676. General enquiries about the AA Framework should be directed to their central email at ! Academic Advising.
We communicate to our Academic Advising community via Academic Advising Framework page: section Semester Updates as well as the ‘What’s New For’ circulation below.
You can access a list of allocated course leaders from Curriculum View (SITS) via the university reporting page.
You can access a list of allocated module leaders from Curriculum View (SITS) via the university reporting page.
College /Departmental Roles
For details of College / Department / Contacts master sheet (Google doc). You can also see further details on the relevant College site:
|BTE||Academic Quality Leads||Student Experience Leads||Teaching, Learning and Assessment Leads||Heads of Department||Deputy Heads of Department||College Leadership Team|
|HWLS||Quality Leads||Student Experience Leads||Heads of Teaching and Learning||Heads of Department||Deputy Heads of Department||College Leadership Team|
|SSA||Quality Leads||Student Experience Leads||Heads of Teaching and Learning||Heads of Department||Deputy Heads of Department||College Leadership Team|
Academic Development and Diversity Team (ADD)
The Academic Development & Diversity Team provides academic workforce development and support to enable the delivery of effective and inclusive pedagogic and academic practices. Contacts:
- ! Academic Development & Diversity inbox
- Our dedicated Twitter account @SHU_AcDev
- Members of the team
Student Experience, Teaching and Learning (SETL)
The Directorate of Student Experience, Teaching and Learning (SETL) comprises of three specific work streams:
- Student Engagement, Evaluation and Research (STEER)
- Digital Learning Team (DLT)
- Teaching and Learning Operations
Student and Academic Services (SAS)
Student and Academic Services (SAS) brings together:
- Academic Services – comprises a central Registry aligned with an Academic Administration service distributed across the academic departments of the University. Registry comprises three elements (Registry Operations, Student Systems and Reporting, Student Policy and Compliance) which together are responsible for student lifecycle processes, co-ordination of user functionality, process delivery and meeting external stakeholder requirements.
- Library and Campus Services
- Student Support Services
- Technical Operations, Resources and Services (TORS)
SHU Parent and Carer Staff Network
All staff contacts
- You can find phone numbers and more details about staff in the Office 365 ‘People Search’ on the staff intranet and in other Microsoft applications.
- You can still find external email addresses in the format <name>@shu.ac.uk if you need to, but these sit separately – in the old staff details search. You’ll find them by clicking the ‘Search more’ button on the intranet home page, please note that you will need to connect to the Virtual Private Network (VPN) to use the staff details search tool.
- More guidance is available on the intranet home page.
Each month, we circulate a ‘What’s New For’ communication through the Colleges which highlights Academic Essentials and content relating to teaching, learning, assessment and CPD for academic staff. You can view past editions here – NB: please access via SHU Google Apps using your firstname.lastname@example.org.
|September 2021||August 2021||July 2021||June 2021||May 2021||April 2021|
|March 2021||February 2021||January 2021||December 2020||November 2020||September 2020|
SAScade – Student and Academic Services (SAS)
SAScade newsletter – updates from SAS for our academic community.
Academic Services compile a:
- list of communications to staff in relation to changes or issues with the SITS system or one of the associated Student Lifecycle Processes. The information from these communications is uploaded to the timeline of teaching and learning activities.
- list of communications to students in relation to changes or issues with the SITS system or one of the associated Student Lifecycle Processes.
- Further information about SITS can be found on the support for course and module design and delivery overview page.
University’s Internal Communications Team
The Recruitment, Communications and Marketing Team can work with you to provide strategic communications direction and planning. They create and manage key messages and delivery through central channels for major projects and campaigns. Their Internal Communications Toolkit provides you with practical resources to get you started and here you can make contact with the team.
Take a look at all the central communications channels the team use to circulate messages to both staff and students, which include * Academic Digest * Hallam Managers Brief * Beyond Covid Updates * All staff briefings and events and more.
|Last updated: 7th July 2021 NB|