Summary from the December Board
You can download this one page summary document here
Rose Barnard who graduated with a first in Business Studies and is currently a Shaping Futures intern shared her short digital story . Upon finishing her degree, the story focuses on Rose accessing the support of Careers and Employability – leading to the success of securing graduate employment.
Mental Health and Wellbeing – UUK step change framework
Claire Gandy delivered a presentation on mental health and wellbeing and the UUK step change. The board agreed that greater strategic emphasis should be placed upon mental health and wellbeing initiatives. The Board discussed the importance of embedding the initiatives into the curriculum and the need for a clear delineation between student support and academic support in terms of mental health and wellbeing.
Claire will now work with Engage* to produce a proposal for Shaping Futures Board to consider the strategic priorities in this area.
– The estates work on the Hallam Help hubs is on target
– Hallam Help administrators have been allocated to four zones
– The Student Experience Committee is continuing to progress work on induction and transition
– Training and support has been ongoing for Student Support Advisers and Hallam Help staff
– The CRM functionality will be phased, with an initial focus on essential Hallam Help/Student Support functions. Academic Advising and employability functions are due to be added in the next phase of development
– The Board endorsed the need for further communication in January to provide a summary of the changes to help everyone understand the new approach
The employability leadership team have recently reviewed the work to date across all strands of the Employability plan in addition to assessing sector practice and consideration on how best to progress the plan towards the required objectives.
A paper was taken to ULT in early December proposing the next stage of development. Following endorsement from ULT, the team are currently working up more detailed plans and creating an implementation plan which will be ready in January 2019.
Assessment and Feedback Action Plan
- Work is ongoing to define course focused assessment and the Assessment Working Group is currently scoping out models to propose to the University Teaching Quality Committee (UTQC) in January 2019
- A University Grade Descriptor is due to be circulated to Heads of Department for feedback
GradVantage and Graduate Outcomes
Class of 2018 graduates all received a postcard with information on GradVantage and graduate outcomes. Free coaching intervention via phone has been offered to alumni, as well as the Hallam internship offer and promotion of the LinkedIn learning platform to recent alumni.
*Engage is accountable to the Shaping Futures Pillar Board and Sheffield Hallam Students’ Union Trustee Board for enabling meaningful, effective dialogue and action on issues that promote student engagement and add value to the student experience, facilitating both parties to achieve their co-operative strategic objectives.
You can download this as a one page summary document here