National Student Survey and Postgraduate Research Experience Survey Results 2019

When the National Student Survey Results and the Postgraduate Research Education Survey were published last week I was away on vacation but I must admit I did have a look at the results and overall was delighted with our Faculty outcomes.

In the NSS, the Faculty remains at a very high satisfaction rate of 87% (the same as the previous year), and I must particularly note the improvements, a significant increase of 9% (from 84 to 93%) in Social Work and Social Care and in Nursing and Midwifery, up 3% (from 83 to 86%) satisfaction, and Biosciences and Chemistry continue with their very high standard with a 90% satisfaction rate. There has clearly been some excellent work taking place in these departments and I would like to thank and congratulate you on your success. The hard task is continuing to maintain and build on that success, and across all the courses, but do take the opportunity to enjoy your success.

Whilst there are small dips in the satisfaction rates in the Department of Allied Health Professions (from 90 to 87%) and the Academy of Sport (from 88 to 85%), these are small changes at a time of significant change in the departmental leadership and I am confident that we can all work together in the departments, and as part of the Faculty Leadership Team, to improve student satisfaction rates for 2020.

For the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES), there are also high levels of student satisfaction recorded, and again this is due to the diligence and joint working with students by the postgraduate research leads and the students’ supervisors.

Thank you to all colleagues, we all play a vital role whether academic or professional service staff, in supporting students and ensuring their satisfaction.

Over the next few weeks Christine Smith (Assistant Dean for Student Engagement) and I will review the results in detail and we will come and speak with course leaders in due course to develop action plans to continue delivering on the positive outcomes and to look in more detail at how we can support improvements in other areas.

As courses come to an end and the summer vacation period starts, can I also take this opportunity to thank everyone for all their hard work and commitment over the last year. There has been a great deal of change over the last academic year and colleagues have continued to deliver their courses, undertake their research and provide student and staff support services – THANK YOU. Your professionalism and commitment is a pleasure to witness and I appreciate the opportunity to work with you and as part of our Faculty.

Whatever your vacation plans, I hope they are very enjoyable and I look forward to welcoming you back refreshed and revitalised for a new academic year.

Best wishes

Alison