Meet the Team – Dr Toni Schwarz

Dr Toni Schwarz

Over the coming months, our Team Spotlight series is profiling different teams in the faculty. This edition sees Toni Schwarz (Deputy Dean) discussing her role . . . and also revealing a few fun facts!

What brought you to HWB?

I needed a change when my daughters left for university, so I thought I would go on a new adventure up north!

What sort of work does your role involve?

I have oversight of the running of the faculty. I deputise for the PVC, dealing with staff resources and portfolio presentation. I also work closely with FLT colleagues to support them with their agendas.

How can you help colleagues at the University?

I can help with programme and staff development and especially welcome thoughts and ideas on how to improve the function and output of the faculty. Many people come to me to discuss how their own academic progression can be further developed.

What do you enjoy most about working at the University?

We have friendly and approachable staff and there is the potential and willingness to try something new.

And a few fun facts . . .

• Favourite hobby – cooking and crafts to relax
  • Favourite film – Sophie’s Choice or Forrest Gump depending on my mood.
  • Favourite book – Cider with Rosie
  • Favourite place/holiday – Greek islands
  • First job – working as a waitress in a holiday hotel on the south coast.
  • Biggest unknown accomplishment – I was part of a team that swam the English Channel!

You will be able to find out more about all the members of FLT in future editions of the newsletter, so keep your eyes peeled!

Did you miss Alison Metcalfe’s spotlight? You can read it here.

If you would like your team to feature in the spotlight, please send an email to hwbstaffengagement@shu.ac.uk