A day in the life of a Senior Lecturer in Radiotherapy and Oncology

Name: Alex Robinson

Job Title: Senior Lecturer in Radiotherapy & Oncology

How long have you worked for the University?

4 years; this was my first educational post, I came from the NHS, where I was working as a Therapeutic Radiographer with the Pre-treatment / Dosimetric area.

How do you usually start your day?

Usually I stay in bed for as long as possible, skip breakfast, get on my motorcycle and drive to the door. Then it’s a pint of strong coffee, print registers and then I’m ready for the day.

Can you sum up the main aspects of your role?

As a Radiation Physics Specialist, I teach on all 3 years of the BSc, 2 years of the pre-registration MSc, the post-registration MSc and year new Foundation for Health, Sport and Social Care. I am also a Professional Link Tutor (PLT) for Castle Hill Hospital in Hull. So go there 22 days a year to support the students on clinical placement. It is extremely beneficial to keep my hand in practise. The students on our courses are split 50/50 between academia and placement. I work primarily within the physics area of Radiotherapy and focus on making teaching real; connecting physics principles to everyday life things.

What is the most interesting project you are working on right now?

Currently studying an MA in Education and starting my dissertation looking at students experiences of image guided radiotherapy. Particularly looking at how teaching resources can be created to reflect the technological advantages within Radiotherapy. Spend most of my life in the radiotherapy eclipse planning suite looking at X-ray images or planning radiotherapy treatments.

Can you recommend any useful tools that support you in your role?

Any of the Google Apps and Google Drive; I use Google Sites in my teaching, using it for embedding video and presentations into websites for students to use with iPads during planning sessions.

What is your career highlight?

Winning Inspirational Teacher Award two years running, it’s particularly rewarding as the students choose to nominate.

What do you like to do in the evening?

I have a ten week old daughter so I tend to have not a lot of sleep or time or current hobbies! Before this I played darts and enjoyed going to real ale & music festivals. Walking is one of the ways I like to get away from the world, previously having completed the coast to coast, which is a 190 mile walk starting from St Bees and finishing in Robin Hood’s Bay. Having no phone signal is bliss!

If you are interested in sharing your story for the: A day in the life of… blog series please contact the staff engagement inbox; ! HWB Staff Engagement