First day ponderings: building on accomplishments

Our new Pro Vice-Chancellor, Professor Alison Metcalfe, talks about joining the Faculty of Health and Wellbeing after her first day at the University. 

I am delighted to join Sheffield Hallam University as Pro Vice-Chancellor for Health and Wellbeing and particularly excited to lead the Faculty. It is very successful across teaching, research and consultancy, and in building partnerships with students, collaborators and industry, most notably the healthcare sector who will subsequently employ many of our students. The success can be seen through the many achievements of staff and students that I have already heard or read about. My role is to ensure we continue to build on those accomplishments going forward.

Over the first 100 days of my tenure I will be listening to and observing colleagues, students and partners to learn all about the Faculty from many different perspectives in order to understand its culture, connections and challenges. This will assist me in appreciating the many opportunities that are possible to build on the Faculty’s current attainments in line with the university’s strategy.

The breadth of disciplines within the Faculty, and its position in an applied university set at the heart of a great city means there are many opportunities for research and knowledge creation. We will facilitate staff and students in identifying and taking those opportunities which will require innovation and interdisciplinary working to provide new interventions and policy solutions to the complex health and well-being challenges faced by communities at a local and global level.

Working together we can continue the growth of the Faculty which contributes so significantly to improving the health and wellbeing of the people in Sheffield and beyond; through the sustained growth of our excellence in teaching and high quality research.

The biggest impact our research can have is through our students’ education and learning and knowledge transfer. Research and innovation is key to preparing students with lifelong skills in creating and critiquing knowledge and developing their confidence and resilience – shaping students’ futures and transforming their lives whatever their background.

I have asked for meetings with staff groupings in different departments to be set up on a regular basis so that I can listen to your views and ideas and answer your questions. I look forward to meeting you and hearing your initial thoughts and views about the Faculty over the next 100 days and hope you will take the opportunity to come and meet with me.

Before signing off, I would also like to acknowledge Helen Best and thank her for her interim leadership of the Faculty where she has done a sterling job of keeping the Faculty on course.

I look forward to working with you and all our colleagues in contributing to the Faculty and Sheffield Hallam’s continued success.

Best wishes
Alison Metcalfe

You can follow Alison on Twitter: @MetcalfeAlison

(and don’t forget us! @SHU_HWB)