Campus Life – Professor Susan Laird

Professor Susan Laird
Head of Department, Biosciences and Chemistry

My time so far at Hallam

I started work in April 1989 as a lecturer in the Division of Biomedical Sciences, having moved to Sheffield from London. It was a week before the Hillsborough Disaster and it was strange listening to something that was so close unfold on the radio. I had previously completed a PhD and Postdoctoral position studying adrenocortical endocrinology at the Medical College of Bartholomew’s Hospital in London and was ready for a lecturer position. Whilst at SHU I have taught various subjects including Physiology,  Cell Biology and Reproductive Biology. I have been course leader for HND Biomedical Science and BSc Human Biosciences. I have been a subject group leader, Head of Programme Area and I am now Head of Department of Biosciences and Chemistry. I have been an active researcher throughout my time at SHU and have developed a research career in reproductive biology, in collaboration with clinicians at the Jessop Wing, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals. I am interested in the role of the endometrium in embryo implantation; if we can understand how it works on a molecular and cellular level we may be able to designed informed treatments for reproductive disorders such as infertility and recurrent miscarriage. I have published over 150 abstracts and papers and presented my work at and national meetings and conferences. This culminated in my appointment as Professor of Reproductive Biology in 2016. This integration of research and teaching is really important for the University – without it we are no different from Further Education Colleges.

My very first memory of Hallam

I remember my interview which was held in the Surrey building and looking out over the original Park Hill flats. It was a cold and grey January day and Sheffield did not appear the most inviting place to move to.

I remember how different it felt being an individual  lecturer rather than a member of a research group. You really did feel on your own in front of a group of students. I soon got used to it.

My stand out moments

The best thing is making a difference to the student experience and seeing individual students fulfil their academic potential; the value we add to individual student lives is amazing. Even as Head of Department I still do some teaching  and the personal thanks that I get from students who I have supervised still gives me a real buzz.

I am also incredibly proud of being appointed Head of Department and also of obtaining my Professorship, which was something I did not envisage when I started work here.

It was also pleasing to be part of the leadership team which re-introduced the Chemistry degree to the University. We never stopped delivering Chemistry (as highlighted by the 50th anniversary of the introduction of Chemistry events this week), but had to disguise it as Pharmaceutical Sciences or Forensic and Analytical Science for a number of years. It was a really good decision to bring back the course- it is the most successful new course to be introduced to SHU; it recruits well and has excellent student satisfaction.

The biggest change since I started at Hallam

The main change is the number of students; When  I started the biggest course cohort was 40-50 students, now it can be over 120. We have also diversified our provision and are offering a portfolio of courses rather than just a single degree and HND course.

Other changes include that there is more acceptance of the equality of women – at my interview I was asked what my husband would do if I was offered the post – I suspect that the male applicants were not asked that question and we would never even think about asking it now. I also remember being in an exam board where the chair assumed that I was a member of support staff, I assume because I was young and female.

What has made me stay Hallam

Sheffield Hallam has offered me the opportunities to develop my career in a way that I have wanted. There were times when I got frustrated and started to look elsewhere for opportunities, but each time something new and appropriate came up at SHU. My research has always been really important to me and in recent years it would have been really difficult to keep that going if I had moved away from Sheffield and lost all my links here.

There are things about SHU that are frustrating, but it is probably no different to other Universities.

And finally…the best thing about working at Hallam

The people and the collegiate spirit. Certainly in the areas that I have worked in we all work together to solve problems, but also to celebrate success.