Like most people, I lived in student halls for my first year at University, but also decided to stay for my second and third too. I know this opportunity isn’t offered at every university, but I’m grateful Sheffield Hallam do as it’s been the best choice for me. This has provided me with a greater insight into living in student halls than most. For this blogpost I’ve rounded up six of my favourite things about living in halls to share with you.
- Location– living in halls often means you’re perfectly positioned to get to University quickly. In my case, my halls are positioned in the city centre meaning I’m only a few minutes away from so many different shops, pubs and bars.
- Safety and Security– My parents were, as many parents often are, slightly worried when I moved to the city centre alone. However, there is actually four locks between my room and the outside world meaning I feel more than safe. I have a personal key and fob which allow me access to my flat and I feel comforted knowing my halls have 24-hour onsite security and CCTV.
- Helpful– The staff at my halls are always happy to help whether it be by sorting a maintenance issue or collecting my post. They even host events throughout the year with visiting clinics and to celebrate various events, providing social opportunities.
- Value for money– One of the best things about choosing to live in halls over private accommodation is the tenancy length. Often private housing only offers a tenancy of a full year, whereas halls often offer lower, in line with your academic timetable. For example, I pay rent for 44 weeks, instead of 52. I find this useful as I only live in Sheffield during term time anyway, and the extra weeks would be a waste of money for me. This means I have a larger budget for accommodation per week, meaning I can afford to have an en-suite room which I love!
- All inclusive– My rent is inclusive of all bills such as internet and water. This is handy as I don’t have to worry about excess bills which may change month-to-month.
- Support from University– As I book my halls through University I know that I can always contact the accommodation team for help if I ever had a problem with my living situation.
- Maintenance– The on-site maintenance team have always been really friendly to me and sorted out any issues speedily. This is super helpful for if your shower or fridge break!
I hope hearing about my favourite things about halls has helped you with any living decisions you may have to make. To find out more about student accommodation at Sheffield Hallam University take a look at this link: https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/accommodation
Written by #HallamInsider Rhianne Saunders