What is Career Readiness for Highly Skilled Employment?
Career = my personal journey of discovery and exploration of self to inform choices about life and work
Employability = my knowledge, skills, graduate attributes and experience developed to enable me to achieve my career goals
The Career Readiness pathway is a preparatory and developmental career planning and employability skills programme to provide Sheffield Hallam students with the confidence to take ownership of their personal career journey and shape their future success. Career Readiness learning will be measured through the Career Readiness Questionnaire (CRQ).
What do I need to do or understand?
To support the development and delivery of an impactful, consistent and innovative Career Readiness pathway in every course, each Faculty will have the expert support of the BESE Student and Graduate Employability Service and a Faculty delivery team consisting of the following:
- Employability Consultant: managing and delivering the BESE Faculty employability offer. They will provide consultancy, expert labour market analysis and advice for Faculty academic staff in relation to curriculum design and teaching materials.
- Senior Employability Adviser: providing specialist 1:2:1 careers guidance and action planning, employability support with a departmental caseload and working collaboratively with Faculty Academic staff to deliver Career Readiness pathway activities
- Employability Advisers: providing specialist placement and graduate job search advice to students within a department and working collaboratively with Faculty Academic staff to deliver Career Readiness pathway activities
- Employer Partnerships Officer: facilitating employer engagement with Career Readiness pathway activity and supporting Employer Advisory Boards
The Career Readiness pathway will have four key themes which will incorporate career planning and employability skills development, appropriate to each stage of study, as follows:
1. Develop self-awareness
2. Explore career options
3. Job-seeking skills
4. Professional development and action planning
Career Readiness ensures that work experience makes sense to students. It will build upon the existing good practice which is already embedded in many courses and therefore may not involve significant changes to courses where preparation for work experience, career planning and/or employability skills development is already fully integrated and accessible at every level.
The Career Readiness Academic Summary provides an overview of Career Readiness themes to support further discussions with Employability Consultants and Employability Advisers for planning and implementation purposes
Abintegro – a new support resource for students and staff.
This broad, impactful and evolving resource can be used to support teaching and assessment through HSE related modules and beyond. It can support students career readiness by developing their employment preparation, career advice and tools and offers an opportunity to engage in career e-learning