Top Places in Sheffield

As I’m currently living away from Sheffield for a while, and commuting to classes for my masters, I’m seeing Sheffield in new ways and really appreciating the City, and all it has to offer on the days when I’m here. So, I wanted to write a post about my personal favourite spots in Sheffield, what I enjoy about them and what I do there. I say they’re my personal favourites but, I guarantee if you’re local to Sheffield, you’ll love at least one of these places too!

1. The Winter Gardens

Hands down, my absolute favourite place in Sheffield. You can spend time here whether it’s sunny or raining, Summer or Winter, it doesn’t matter, the Winter Gardens is always warm and dry. There are beautiful plants and flowers to look at all year round and it’s just the best place to spend some time, relax, eat some lunch, have a coffee with a friend, take some photos of the stunning scenery and generally admire your surroundings.

1. The Cabin

Where do I start with the Cabin?! The boutique shop, amazing coffee and Canadian décor are just the tip of the iceberg. This place is famous but it’s fantastic pancakes and waffles. Whether you keep it simple with pancakes and syrup, or you fancy waffles with eggs and bacon, they do it all. They’ve even got a food challenge you can have a bash at!

1. Amphitheatre

The amphitheatre just behind the Sheffield train station is a real beauty spot. When all is said and done, there’s not really anything here – unless there’s an outdoor cinema or planned event going on. It’s just a lovely place to sit and admire Sheffield centre and get some fresh air – so long as you don’t mind climbing some steps to get there.

1. The Light Cinema Sheffield

The Light is fast becoming the most popular cinema chain in the UK, and with good reason. Just one visit to the Light and you’ll be hooked. Yes, it’s new and a bit swanky, but it’s more than that. They have mystery screenings, screenings for specific groups such as autism friendly showings of blockbusters, each showing is introduced by a member of the Light team. There’s even a gin bar and a piano!

1. Sheffield Hallam

Maybe I’m a little bias but, the Sheffield Hallam University campus, immediately felt like home to me the first time I visited it just over 4 years ago. Since then, I’m always finding new places on campus to admire and enjoy – out of the way seating areas in Charles Street, study spaces in Owen, cafes at Collegiate. Then of course, there are the classics like Cutting Edge and Charles Street café.

1. The Botanical Gardens

A stunning space, right near the centre of Sheffield, the Botanical Gardens contains thousands of species of plants and trees. You will be approached by squirrels and you will take a lot of photos whilst you’re there. Just as lovely in the winter as it is in the summer, many people use the gardens as a thoroughfare from Eccy Road to the University of Sheffield and beyond but, it’s much more than that. Nip to Tesco on Eccy Road, head into the Gardens and while away an afternoon, exploring and relaxing.

1. Tamper

Looking for that perfect flat white and a cinnamon bun? Look no further than Tamper. A warm and cosy interior in the winter, a glorious, sunny courtyard in the summer. Close to all the City campus buildings at Hallam, it’s located in the perfect place for a coffee break or to meet up with somebody. The staff are always friendly and helpful, the atmosphere always amazing and the coffee and food always sublime.