Read about Tony from SCOPE in Hong Kong’s time at Sheffield Hallam

Tony Wong is a student who studies Applied Social Sciences at SCOPE in Hong Kong, which is one of Sheffield Hallam’s partner institutions. Here, Tony tells GoGlobal about his semester at Hallam, here in Sheffield.

How has the scholarship benefited you?
Having the opportunity to spend a semester studying Postgraduate credits at SHU, I was able to choose modules that interested me in relation to my professional development. Firstly, I chose a psychology module, specifically social psychology, to develop my core knowledge. The other modules were fundamental statistics and qualitative research, which has developed my technical knowledge and understanding for my work in Hong Kong.

Lectures in the UK are different to Hong Kong, as there is a focus on discussion. Facilitators in the session help guide and support the group. Also, the University English Scheme has enabled me to focus on developing my speaking and reading skills.

What are your career aspirations for the future?
I have already applied to study a Masters in Social Work at City University (Hong Kong) to further my professional development. All the skills and knowledge I have learnt during my Postgraduate credits at SHU will help me. I have enjoyed meeting people and cherish the friendships I have made in Sheffield. This has given me a global perspective and opportunities to travel abroad to different countries.

Many thanks to Tony for sharing his experience of studying here in Sheffield, we hope he has enjoyed his semester abroad with us!