Meet the Team – Holly Stainburn

Holly Stainburn

Over the coming months, our Team Spotlight series is profiling different teams in the faculty. This edition sees us continue our focus on the Faculty Leadership Team. Holly Stainburn (faculty strategic business partner) discusses the path that led her to working at Hallam, the responsibilities of her current role, and also her passion for playing and watching a variety of sports . . .

Can you tell us a little bit about your background?

After graduating from Loughborough University in 2010 with an MSc in Marketing and Management, I joined the Tesco Graduate Management Scheme. During my time at Tesco I undertook a number of roles within stores, including a role as project manager. However, in 2014 I reached a point where I began to feel as if my personal values were no longer aligned to Tesco’s. I made a decision to leave Tesco in order to pursue a career in higher education.

What attracted you to working at Sheffield Hallam University?

I wanted to contribute to an institution that made a real difference to people and their futures. Being involved in higher education as a student had already given me the opportunity to start the journey to reaching my full potential, so the chance to return to this sector and support the development and future strategy of the University was extremely appealing. I’ve been at Hallam since 2014, holding a number of student services roles within D&S and more recently as the deputy project director on the Professional Services Operating Model project. I joined HWB in May last year and have thoroughly enjoyed my time within the faculty.

How would you describe your current role?

The faculty strategic business partner role (FSBP) is about delivering and enabling excellence, with a particular focus on ensuring the effective contribution of professional services in delivering the strategy. This involves identifying key priorities, finding solutions and being accountable for change, working collaboratively across the University community and measuring impact. I’m also tasked with understanding the business of the faculty, its financial drivers and commercial impact, the role it plays externally, its current performance against KPIs and priority areas, the makeup of its courses, and many other things!

Are you working on any major projects at the moment?

A major project of mine currently is working up a proposal for estates changes within the Robert Winston Building, which will open up more space for specialist and flexible teaching rooms. You’ll hear much more on this over the coming months but it’s going to be a big project and I’m really excited about the benefits this will bring to both colleagues and students. I’ve also placed a big focus on implementing the new ways of working emerging from the PSOM changes, including developing new teams and supporting a change in culture.

Why might staff come to you and how can you help them?

The FSBP role is very much about being an active member of the faculty community and understanding how professional services enables and enhances the priorities of the University. Understanding the faculty community, academic colleagues, research portfolio, and student base, is paramount.  I have a particular passion for improving services for customers through innovation, technology, process design and simplification, so please feel free to get in touch to discuss any plans you may have.

Similarly, if staff are keen to understand the PSOM changes, the shifting landscape and how these impact on their role, I’m happy to talk this through.

Can you name three things that you enjoy or stand out about working in HWB?

Working within HWB over the past year has been an absolute pleasure and I’m an advocate for all the amazing work that we undertake, and our genuine commitment to transforming lives. I love the vibe I get from the faculty, whether that’s on a morning when I walk to RWB and there’s a real buzz from our students, touring the bio-sciences labs in Owen, or just walking around Collegiate Crescent and seeing our paramedic students undertaking real life scenarios. It’s such an inspiring place to work and so many colleagues are passionate and dedicated to making the student experience the best that it can be. Colleagues are genuinely so friendly and approachable, which makes coming to work a joy.

Holly in action on the hockey pitch

And now for a few fun facts . . .

Favourite hobby: Sport has to be one of my biggest hobbies. In winter you’ll often find me running around a hockey pitch in the freezing cold, which is both invigorating and torturous in equal measure!  I’ve played since school and currently play for Wakefield Hockey Club. I also love most other sports, whether that’s watching Man United play football, cheering on the England Rugby Union team, playing badminton and tennis, or even watching a bit of darts as a guilty pleasure. I just love it!

Favourite band/music/best gig: I adore music and can happily while away a few hours listening to live music.  One of my most favourite gigs was a festival I attended in Ireland which had a real mix of artists, including Eminem who was just phenomenal.

Favourite quote: “Though she be but little, she is fierce” which is a Shakespeare quote from a Midsummer Night’s Dream. Mainly because it’s a quote that’s often thrown at me by my family – and probably a few people who’ve worked in my teams – when I get a little assertive with my approach.