Team spotlight – Professor Alison Metcalfe

Professor Alison Metcalfe

Over the coming months, our new Team Spotlight series will profile different teams in the faculty. This edition sees the start of our Faculty Leadership Team (FLT) spotlight with Professor Alison Metcalfe (our Pro Vice-Chancellor) discussing her role . . . and also revealing a few fun facts!

What brought you to HWB?

I was approached about the role of Pro Vice-Chancellor for Health & Wellbeing at Hallam to see whether I might be interested, and when I saw the work that was happening and the potential to develop it even further I decided to come and give it a try. Twelve months later, I’m still here and thoroughly enjoying it despite the pressure universities are facing at the moment with a time of unprecedented levels of change.

What sort of work does your role involve?

My day-to-day work is as an executive member of the university leadership team, with a cross-university role to ensure the quality of the students’ learning and teaching experience. I lead the Faculty of Health of Wellbeing and oversee the strategic development and direction of the Faculty working closely with our Faculty Leadership Team to ensure we do our best to facilitate the great learning and teaching experience, high quality research and to ensure we develop our colleagues to assist them in developing their careers.

How can you help colleagues at the University?

I often help colleagues in a variety of ways: offering advice on promotion, meeting with exceptionally high-performing colleagues to pass on awards, and coaching and mentoring colleagues at all levels within the Faculty. I also continue to undertake research projects with some colleagues.

What do you enjoy most about working at the University?

The University offers plenty of great opportunities to work with incredible colleagues.

And a few fun facts . . .

• Favourite hobby – Crown green bowling and football (although I now only watch – my injuries have caught up with me preventing me from playing.
  • Favourite film – The Hours.
  • Favourite book – Too many to choose from!
  • Favourite place/holiday  – Isle of Wight for pure relaxation, sun and good food after a busy academic year
  • First job – Café waitress

You will be able to find out more about all the members of FLT in future editions of the newsletter, so keep your eyes peeled!

Did you miss the spotlight on the Planning and Initiatives (P&I) team? You can catch up here.

If you would like your team to feature in the spotlight, please send an email to hwbstaffengagement@shu.ac.uk