A day in the life of a Senior Lecturer in Adult Nursing

Name: Dr Amanda Howarth

Job Title: Senior Lecturer in Adult Nursing

How long have you worked for the University?

12 years, I moved over from the University of Sheffield when the Nursing contract moved to SHU.

How do you usually start your day?

The first thing I do when I get up is feed my cats, then have breakfast in mutual silence with my 15 year old daughter. I am lucky enough to be able to walk to work through Endcliffe Park. When I get to work it starts with coffee and then varies from day to day. My role is incredibly varied from teaching to organising interview events, recruitment work and outreach work visiting schools and colleges as well as attending career events.

Can you sum up the main aspects of your role?

I am Senior Lecturer with a clinical background in pain management. I have a specific interest in pain in multiple sclerosis and also the use of complementary therapies in pain management. I am the joint lead for Nursing and Midwifery recruitment. I spend my time, teaching, marking, liaising with the admissions team at City, organising and running interview events for all fields of N&M, which includes interviewing at the events. I spend 4 days a week focusing on recruitment. I am currently involved with the development of the integrated curriculum in Health and Wellbeing across Nursing and AHP.

What is the most interesting project you are working on right now?

Currently I have a joint secondment with Tracey Briggs. This comprises of a day a week each looking at raising the profile of placements as part of the student journey during their training, along with developing outreach activities within our local Trusts and schools and colleges. We are working on a website to provide up to date information on our activities and events and to help increase the conversion rate for candidates choosing SHU, watch this space for when it goes live in 2019.

Can you recommend that have supported you in your role?

Being a STEM ambassador; STEM ambassadors are volunteers with a background in science and technology related jobs that promote and develop the value of these subjects in life and careers. I’d encourage staff to register as a STEM ambassador, it’s a great way to link in to recruitment and develop our future students. You can find out more at www.stem.org.uk

What do you like to do on an evening / after work?

My family consists of two children, two cats and a husband that I go home to in an evening. In my spare time I enjoy running and swimming.

Tell us something about yourself your colleagues might not know about you?

I am an aspiring silversmith. I go to weekly classes to make jewellery, and am looking to develop these skills further including learning to cast precious metals and stone setting.