A day in the life of the Head of Learning Enhancement

Name: Alison Purvis

Job Title: Head of Learning Enhancement

How long have you worked for the University?

I have worked at Sheffield Hallam University for 18 years. I was appointed in September 2000 on a 12-month contract, which was then made permanent a few months later. I’ve been in my current role of Head of Learning Enhancement for 2 years after the LTA team and Quality Enhancement Team were merged to become the Learning Enhancement Team.

How do you usually start your day?

I usually get up at 6am, feed our 2 cats and have a cup of tea; then I’m in work for about 7:30am where I move onto drinking coffee! I like to spend an hour setting myself up for the day and reviewing emails and actions – I recently undertook refresher training on the “Getting Things Done” (GTD) productivity and organisation system and so I start each day using the GTD approach to getting myself organised and actions completed. It’s still a work in progress but it’s definitely helping.

Can you sum up the main aspects of your role?

I lead the faculty in the development and implementation of strategies and procedures which relate to the enhancement of learning, teaching and assessment. I lead the Learning Enhancement Team and our aim is to develop and promote the highest standards in the quality of students’ learning experience. To complement my role in learning and teaching, I also continue to teach physiology a little on BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science, and the new Faculty Foundation Year.

Can you recommend any useful tools that have supported you in your role?

Everyone should read Brené Brown, start with “The Gifts of Imperfection”, but any of her books are superb and her latest book “Dare to Lead” is recommended reading for anyone in a leadership position – all of us! Her work will help with any aspect of life, work or personal, she’s very insightful and all her work is research and evidence based.

Her TED talk has been viewed 36 million times: https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability?language=en

The best part of your job is…

Variety, no day is ever the same and I get to work with so many different colleagues across the Faculty and University!

What do you like to do on an after work?

If it’s a night at home then I like to be creative and I enjoy cooking, listening to music, drawing, and playing the flute. If it’s a night out then I like to eat out and go to the cinema – I watch about 60 films a year at the cinema. All that will change soon, we’re about to get a puppy, so he will keep us busy!

Have you any interesting Hobbies?

I love photography and I worked professionally as a wedding and portrait photographer for a few years. Now I enjoy taking photographs for my own pleasure, particularly when travelling abroad. I love cruising and the sea, and I was very lucky to go to Norway, Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Orkney last year on a cruise – dream locations for me to visit and I took hundreds of photographs.

If you are interested in sharing your story for the: A day in the life of… blog series please contact the staff engagement inbox; ! HWB Staff Engagement