A day in the life of a Wellness Assistant

Name: Alison Beswick

Job Title: Wellness Assistant

How long have you worked for the University?

As soon as I finished my Masters at Hallam in 2013, I trained as a Wellness Assistant and also worked as an Administrator. In December I’ll have worked here for 5 years.

How do you usually start your day?

My day starts really early and I usually get into the office for ten past eight. People wince when I tell them what time I get up so I’m not going to say because you won’t believe me anyway! I travel in on the bus from Buxton and I usually sneak in a nap on the way; that helps me to focus, or at least stay awake for the rest of the day.

Can you sum up the main aspects of your role?

I deliver 1:1 health and lifestyle consultations for staff at SHU (and external clients) as part of the SHU Wellness scheme. Each consultation involves conducting health assessments which can include; blood pressure, cholesterol, blood glucose, lung function and a fitness tests. We discuss the results and often clients are then keen to set goals. I try to get them to consider making 1 or 2 (but no more than 3) small changes that can be easily incorporated into their lifestyle and routine, even if that is taking the stairs instead of the lift, or freshly preparing and cooking 1 extra meal per week. I also deliver the administration of the SHU Wellness service including looking after the wellness software.

What is the most interesting project you are working on right now?

I’m actually going on maternity leave in a couple of weeks so my project work (and my SHU Wellness delivery) is gradually reducing. I have always found delivering SHU Wellness interesting. People always ask me if it gets repetitive or boring but it really doesn’t. Whilst we offer the same assessments, everyone’s reason for booking an appointment is different and their goals vary too so it’s always interesting and I look forward to seeing how people get on year on year and see their progress.

Have you any interesting Hobbies?

I used to compete nationally in TaeKwonDo, often against Jade Jones MBE; the current two-time Olympic Champion. I am now a qualified instructor/coach but as Baby Beswick is due very soon that’s all taken a back seat for the moment and my current hobby is napping, which I have perfected pretty well.

Tell us something about yourself your colleagues might not know about you?

I once had lunch with Muhammed Ali and Peter Andre (at the same event!). It was a fundraising event for the Muhammad Ali Centre. If meeting Muhammad Ali (my all-time hero) wasn’t emotional enough, Peter Andre brought a tear to my eye when he trapped my fingers between our chairs. He was convinced he had broken them and was extremely apologetic but they turned out to be badly bruised – it wasn’t quite the memento I was expecting to take home!

If you are interested in sharing your story for the: A day in the life of… blog series please contact the staff engagement inbox; ! HWB Staff Engagement