Jo McNamara abseils for charity fundraiser!

Jo McNamara, Senior Lecturer Radiotherapy & Oncology for the Department of Allied Health Professions writes about her recent charity abseiling experience.

When I was in clinical practice, I treated a young patient who suffered with muscular dystrophy. Their condition severely affected their quality of life and left a lasting impact on me as a healthcare professional. So when I saw the advert on Twitter to help raise money for Muscular Dystrophy UK by abseiling down the Owen building I felt compelled to have a go.

Now most people who know me, would have me pegged as an adrenaline junky, but for those of you who know me even better will know, I’m scared of heights and often do these things to try and push myself and concur my fears.

So as I sat on the edge of the ledge 160ft up from the ground, on top of the Owen building, I could feel my legs wobbling, my heart racing and palms sweaty. I could see my amazing family, friends and supportive work colleagues enjoying a drink in the sunshine far below me and knew that I couldn’t let them or the charity down. So over I went. Halfway down I started to relax into it and enjoyed the views. I had decided to do the abseil in my clinical uniform in honour of the NHS turning 70. I thought it was a fitting tribute.

At SHU we often push our students to do things outside their comfort zones, so let’s lead by example and raise money for charity at the same time.

Thank you to everyone who sponsored me, I raised over £250.