Designer Corin Mellor recognised with honorary doctorate

Corin Mellor was given an honorary doctorate from Sheffield Hallam University today, for his contribution to British design and manufacturing.

The renowned British designer and creative director of David Mellor Design – the world-famous design and manufacturing company based in Hathersage – was given the award at a graduation ceremony at Sheffield City Hall.

Receiving the award in front of hundreds of graduates from the University’s Faculty of Arts, Computing, Engineering and Sciences, Corin said: “I’d like to thank Sheffield Hallam University for giving me this honorary doctorate. My family links to Sheffield Hallam go back a long way. Indeed my father studied at something called the Junior Art Department, and then the Sheffield College of Art over 60 years ago.

“Growing up in Sheffield, I’ve been aware of Sheffield Hallam gradually developing its international reputation for creativity, cleverly combining technology and the arts together. And I think this international reputation gives students graduating here today a good start in the world.”

Earlier this year, the University held an exhibition in partnership with David Mellor Design, showcasing a diverse range of work by the influential designer and metalworker.

The Steel and Light exhibition celebrated the 100 years since the development of stainless steel by metallurgist Harry Brearley, and commemorated the fiftieth anniversary of David Mellor’s Symbol range of cutlery.

Corin has designed the walkway for the University’s new £30million building on Charles Street, which is expected to be completed by 2015.

For more information visit the Media Centre at: http://www.shu.ac.uk/mediacentre