The Wipro Teacher Fellow and Teacher Mentor Programme
Professional learning built on collaboration, enquiry, innovation and trust
The Wipro Teacher Fellow and Teacher Mentor Programme is an evidence-based, individualised programme of professional learning designed to improve teachers’ confidence, motivation and capability in one or more of the STEM subjects. Three cohorts of teachers and mentors have gone through the since its inception in early 2019. Cohort 4 of the programme started in September 2023.
- secondary school teachers in the early stages of teaching one of the focus subjects;
- primary teachers who wish to develop their specialist knowledge in one or more of the focus subjects.
Teacher Fellows are generally in their first 6-7 years of teaching or new to teaching their subject. Over a 36 month period, Teacher Fellows collaborate with expert colleagues, Wipro Teacher Mentors and each other to:
- improve their subject and pedagogical knowledge
- develop, trial and evaluate innovative ways of teaching their subject
- deepen their understanding of teaching through curriculum development and research
- carry out an enquiry into their practice.
Wipro Teacher Mentors – expert, experienced teachers and subject leaders – will support the Teacher Fellows throughout the programme. For Cohort 4 we have both new Mentors – some of whom have been Fellows in previous cohorts and who will be supported through their own bespoke programme of professional development, and Senior Mentors who have already completed the mentor programme and who will receive ongoing support with their mentoring skills.
The Wipro Teacher Fellow and Mentor programme is fully funded by Wipro Limited. There is no charge to schools. The schools of all Teacher Fellows and Mentors also receive a bursary to support their participation.
If you would like to express an interest in joining the programme or want to to find out more, get in touch by email at: WiproTeacherFellow@shu.ac.uk, by phone on 0114 2256060 or via X @teacherfellow.