It’s been a week since the Family Fun Day and I still feel like I’m recovering – although as  this was my last event before going on maternity leave next week, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised!

The event was the first of its kind for the university and was created as part of our larger body of work with the local community. The day was made up of over 25 interactive activities that had been created especially to appeal to children and young people aged 4-13 and their families. All four academic  faculties and a host of other departments brought their expertise and came together for the event. Activities ranged hugely and catered not only for a variety of ages but a host of interests including icing biscuits in our state of the art kitchens, having a go on the flight simulator, virtual reality, arts and crafts, a reading corner, German sessions, building a skeleton, messy play, a Sheffield themed treasure hunt around the campus and shooting hoops in our basketball net. Phew! Come to think of it, it’s no wonder I’m still recovering.

Our whole team came together the day before to decorate the campus fittingly for a day of family fun. We hung over 600m of bunting and artistically arranged over 200 balloons (minus those that burst causing unsolicited shock and the ensuing hilarity). The catering team busily prepped their delicious BBQ offerings which included child portions created especially for this event and we did our final checks, trying to anticipate what tomorrow would bring…

The day exceeded my expectations.

Excited families started arriving before we had officially opened; eager to explore the university and engage with everything we had on offer. Their enthusiasm was infectious and soon the whole campus was a buzz of energy and filled with colour, light and laughter.

Over the course of the event we welcomed around 1200 people in to the university and greeted a mixture of families, some of whom had never set foot in the university before, to staff who’d proudly brought in their own families to show off their place of work. It was wonderful to bring so many people together and for the event to be embraced so warmly by all. The feedback we received on the day and since has been overwhelming positive and is lovely to receive. This is a small sample:

“An amazing day for children, parents and grandparents. All ages catered for. Staff and volunteers very, very good and helpful. Well impressed and would like to attend next year. Well done SHU” (Grandmother and Mother of alumni)

“Epic… My son wants to now be a Physicist, he’s 6, so an inspiring place”. (mum)

“My childminder took my girls to the event today. They have all had an amazing time and couldn’t believe how good it was (and free!). I’m a member of staff and it’s really nice to see us working with the community and future students. Well done to all involved.” (SHU staff)

“A brilliant afternoon had by my family, the only downside was we weren’t there early enough and wish we could have stayed longer. Superbly organised and loads of interesting things for the kids to see and do. Thank you ” (mum)

The Sheffield Star came along on the day to join the fun and you can find their article here.

We had a photographer capture the day for us and his stunning images really reflect the joy of the day.

Thank you to everyone who worked so hard to make the day happen and to all those who came along and made our first Family Fun Day so much fun.

Best wishes,

Jen

As I mentioned at the beginning of this blog we run community events throughout the year, usually in the school holidays so follow us @SHUOutreach or check our Facebook page to hear about upcoming events. To be added to our event mailing list please contact community@shu.ac.uk .