Within the Admissions and UK Student Recruitment team here at Hallam we have 9 Parent Ambassadors that support various widening participation, outreach and recruitment activities and events. They offer a completely different perspective on what university is like, and what parents & guardians might expect when their children fly the nest. We’ve asked them to tell us about what they do as Parent Ambassadors, what they enjoy most about their role and any challenges they’ve faced.

Lauren

Q. What is the best thing about being a Parent Ambassador?

A. I enjoy talking with parents from all over the UK, especially when this is the first time they will have a child at university, or if this is their last child to leave home.

Q.What was your biggest concern about your children going to university?

A. I wanted them to enjoy the experience, but I was mindful that it would change the dynamics at home. We FaceTime and have long catch up conversations, but I try to let them decide when and how often they want to do this.

Any advice? It’s a balancing act between picking up on signals when things aren’t going right to ensure they are supported fully and giving them space to have the new experience of living independently.  I think it’s worth talking this through before they go and agreeing some ground rules you’re both comfortable with.
Nicola

Q. What do you enjoy about being a Parent Ambassador?

A. Being able to talk to parents and children who are thinking of going to university, discussing their concerns and being able to answer questions. Also, being able to promote Sheffield as a good place to study and live.

Q. What was your biggest concern about your child going to university, and how did you overcome it?

A. I was concerned about the cost to our family, and whether my daughter would benefit from four years at university. We overcame it by researching loads of universities, and making sure to look at all of the options that were open to her.

Any advice? Do your own research on universities, courses and what help is available at each institution. Make sure you go to all the websites that can help, and remember to ask loads of questions on Open Days.

Zahid

Q. How many children do you have, and what did they study?

A. I have three children; my eldest son is 24, and he studied a business management degree. My daughter is 23, and she studied law, and my youngest son is 19, and currently studying Politics and Global Development.

Q. How did you prepare for your children to go to university?

A. I shared my experiences, and gave them all positive vibes and encouragement, explaining that university was the next chapter of their lives with many more doors about to be opened and opportunities to take.

Any advice? Enjoy and embrace the journey together!
Barbara

Q. What have you enjoyed most about being Parent Ambassador?

A. I’ve enjoyed meeting lots of different people, and being able to pass on my experience as a parent of children who have gone to university.

Q. How did you prepare for your children to go to university? A. I was a lot more prepared when my second and third children went to university, as I learnt a lot from the experience of my first child.

Any advice? Don’t panic! There’s a lot to take in, but most things can be sorted or resolved. The important thing is to communicate any of the issues that you have. There is always somebody available at the university to help.

Stella

Q.What have you been up to as a Parent Ambassador?

A. Over the last year I have worked on a variety of events but enjoyed the main university Open Days, course and Clearing Open Days. These have provided me the most opportunity to engage with parents and have useful conversations.

Q. How did you help prepare your children for university?

A. We made sure we were aware of the application process and found out information by chatting informally with our daughters. We wanted to be supportive without taking over. We felt it was up to our daughters to lead the process.

Any advice? Try not to transfer any of your worries and concerns onto your children. Seek advice and support for yourself if you need to. Encourage your children to explore all the possibilities for themselves, and enjoy planning their future alongside them.

Maeve

Q. What do you enjoy most about working as a Parent Ambassador?

A. I enjoy talking to young people at Open Days and telling them the fun things about student life, and why Sheffield is a great place to come and study.

Q. Is there anything that worried you about your children going to university?

A. I was worried that they wouldn’t make friends, that they’d feel lonely and that they wouldn’t like the courses they chose. However, I’ve been lucky, and my children enjoyed their time at university and coped really well.

Any advice? Keep in contact, and make sure your children know you’re there supporting them at home, and listen to what they tell you. It’s also a good sign if they don’t come home every weekend!

Celia

Q. What were you concerned about when your child went to university?

A. My biggest concern was the transition for her between college and university. She did struggle at first, but got good support from her tutors.

Q. What do enjoy doing as a Parent Ambassador?

A. Advising and supporting anxious parents, by using my own experience of my daughter going to university. I like helping put their minds at rest.

Any advice? It was the best three years of my daughter’s life. She changed into a confident young woman overnight and university gave her the experiences she wouldn’t have dreamed of doing before. I am not saying it was all easy, we had some tears throughout but she often says she wishes she still was a student.