A day in the life of the Portfolio Team

Name: Kerry Goodwin

Job Title: Senior Administrator, Portfolio Team

Tell us about the team you work in?

I work part time (2 days a week) in the Portfolio Team; we are a small team that look after a wide spectrum of areas relating to the Faculty’s portfolio and business development. (In case you recognise me from elsewhere I also have a job share the other half of the week in the Faculty Operations teams supporting the Department of Biosciences and Chemistry).

How do you usually start your day?

When I get up my first task is to feed the cats, before feeding the rest of my family! When I get in to work, as my role is a job share, the first thing I do is look at the hand over document from Sharon to check the priorities for the week ahead.

Can you sum up the main aspects of your role?

My work focus is on international business development. Every day is different and there are a wide range of administrative tasks. Mainly I work with the department international leads for planning any international travel for business development, this includes; budget tracking, VISA applications, travel booking, liaising with the international offices, organising itineraries, arranging gifts for partners and both pre and post travel briefings for staff. I have also help coordinate visits to our faculty, such as recently we had a delegation of 27 visitors from our partner institution in Suzhou, China.

What is the most interesting project you are working on right now?

The Go Global Fund and Global Mobility project for the faculty is something I am currently working on, alongside Jayne Wilson. I am part of a task and finish group working with the department international leads to increase the number opportunities for our students to have experiences overseas. My main priority is to complete a range of process descriptions; to describe the steps needed when either welcoming an overseas student into the faculty to study with us for a semester, or sending a student abroad to study.

Tell us something exciting?

I have a couple of claims to fame; I went to Loughborough University and lived in the same halls of residents as Olympic Silver and Bronze Medal winning track and field athlete, Steve Backley. I also went to school with MC Mikey Freedom who was a featured artist on Nomad’s number one hit single: Devotion (1991)!

What do you like to do on an evening?

Horse riding has always been one of my main activities. I usually go riding on a Wednesday afternoon. It is a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of daily life and get out in to the country side. I also really like to sew and my latest project in the planning is to make a Japanese rice bag.

If you are interested in sharing your story for the: A day in the life of… blog series please contact the staff engagement inbox; ! HWB Staff Engagement