Tag Archives: Monday 12 October 2015

Is your visa due to expire?

If you do not book a one-to-one appointment to see an immigration adviser at least 2 weeks before your visa is due to expire, then we may not be able to assist you with your application and you will have to send your documents off yourself.

You must attend a group session before you can book a one-to-one appointment.

It is important that you attend a group session at least 2 months before your visa is due to expire. You will be unable to get a CAS application form if you have not attended a group session.

The next group sessions will be taking place as follows:


Thursday 26 – 2.00pm – 3.30pm


Tuesday 1 – 10.00am – 11.30am
Tuesday 8 – 10.00am – 11.30am
Tuesday 15 – 10.00am – 11.30am

Free course online – Academic Integrity: Values, Skills, Action

What is academic integrity? Why is it so important in academia? And how can you, as a student at university, achieve with integrity and honesty?

These are some of the important questions we’ll explore over the four weeks of the course. As we do so, you will hear from the lead educator as well as the perspectives of students like you.

Specifically, each week contains videos, articles, activities and quizzes that will help you develop the knowledge and skills needed to be a successful and ethical learner. There will also be opportunities for you to discuss your ideas with other students on the course and learn from their experiences and points of view.

By the end of the course, we hope you’ll come to understand the meaning of academic integrity and how to avoid academic dishonesty, misconduct and plagiarism but more importantly we hope you will also embrace the values associated with academic integrity as your own.

Additionally, and equally importantly, this course will help you develop study skills and academic writing skills needed to act in accordance with those values, and thus achieve with integrity.

Find out more

International Student Registration

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

“What documents do I need to bring to Registration?”

You will need to bring your passport, visa – including your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card – and your SHU Student card.

Please note these must be your original documents – photocopies or electronic copies will not be accepted.

Some students may be asked to bring additional documents to Registration – if this applies to you, it will be clearly stated in your invitation email, so please read your invitation email carefully.

“I don’t have my passport and/or my visa / BRP card – what should I do?”

If you do not currently have your documents for any reason, please bring evidence of where the documents are being held.

For example, if you have sent your documents to UKVI to apply for a visa extension, please bring evidence of postage, or a letter of response from UKVI as evidence of your application.

If you have recently applied for a Shengen visa or any other type of visa, please bring evidence. For example, a letter acknowledging your application, evidence of postage such as a postal receipt, or other evidence of your application.

If your documents are held by the Police or any other agency, please bring a receipt or other documentation to evidence this, e.g. a letter of receipt from the Police/other agency.

“I have lost my passport / visa / BRP card – what should I do?”

If you have already made an application for a replacement, please bring evidence of your application to Registration.

If not, you must contact SHU International Experience Team (IET) urgently for guidance on how to apply for a replacement passport or visa, or BRP card.

If IET are assisting you with your replacement application, please bring evidence of this to Registration, e.g. IET Appointment Card or printout of emails from IET.

“I can’t attend Registration! What should I do?”

Please note that all current Tier 4 students must attend Registration unless they are in one of the following situations:

  • You are currently absent from study, or will be absent during the Registration period. This may be due to illness or other circumstances;
  • You are currently studying away from Sheffield, for example if you are conducting research at a location outside Sheffield;
  • You are in your home country completing your remaining studies, for example, writing up your Dissertation;
  • You have returned to your home country / have left Sheffield, because you have recently completed all of your required studies or;
  • You are absent for any other reason.

If any of the above applies to you, you must contact your Faculty to request an Authorised Absence – please see below for instructions on how to do this.

“How do I request an Authorised Absence if I can’t attend Registration?”

If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate student, or studying an English Language/TESOL course you must urgently contact your Faculty in person or by email, who will advise you.

If you are a PhD/doctoral research student, you must urgently contact your Faculty Research Administrator Office to request an Authorised Absence. Your Research Administrator will advise you.

“I am currently on Placement – what should I do?”

Please reply urgently to tier4registration@shu.ac.uk with your Student ID number and details of your Placement, including the date you began your Placement, the full name and address of your Placement employer, and the date your Placement ends.

We will then review your response and advise you.

“I am living outside of Sheffield and it will be difficult for me to attend Registration – what should I do?”

You must urgently respond to tier4registration@shu.ac.uk with full details. Please include your Student ID number and Course Title in your response. We will then advise you.

“I have recently changed my immigration status / visa type and no longer require a Tier 4 (General) student visa – what should I do?”

Please reply urgently to tier4registration@shu.ac.uk with details of your new immigration status / visa type. If possible, please attach electronic copies of your new visa documents – i.e. your visa ‘vignette’ and BRP card if you have one – to your email. Please include your Student ID number and Course Title in your response.

“I am a UK or EU student and believe I have been invited to Registration by mistake – what should I do?”

Please reply urgently to tier4registration@shu.ac.uk with details. If possible please attach a scanned, electronic copy of your UK/EU passport to your email. Please include your Student ID number in your response.

“I have other questions about Registration.”

If you have any other queries, please email tier4registration@shu.ac.uk, including your Student ID number and Course title in your email.