Welcome to Assessment Essentials
You are here: Academic Essentials > Assessment Essentials
Curated by a range of stakeholders from across both academic and professional services teams, this resource aims to provide you with guidance and information to support the assessment and feedback journey from the design of inclusive, accessible assessment to the management of assessment activities and feedback methods through to reflecting on your module/course.
This resource is maintained by the Academic Development & Diversity Team on behalf of our stakeholders. If you’d like to become a stakeholder and contribute to this resource, have a suggestion for content or just want to offer feedback, click the feedback button and let us know!
This resource is split between:
- The 6 elements of assessment and feedback, as listed below.
- News, development and networking opportunities in assessment and feedback.
- Design Principles: assessment and awards * programme: quality specifications * course-focussed assessment * accessible and inclusive assessment * resources
- Assessment with ‘online in mind’: formative V summative assessment * digital technologies
- Learning Outcomes: description * writing * university grade descriptors
- Module assessment: learning outcomes * criteria and type * tasks and methods * verification and moderation
- Regulations: tariff * word limits * university grade descriptors * rubrics
- Feedback: design and types of feedback
- Re-assessments: departmental assessment boards (DABs) * extensions (request to repeat an assessment attempt (RRAA) and request to extend a submission deadline (RESD) * referrals * deferrals * continuing * sub-tasks * in-module retrieval * grade-based assessment
- Assessment scheduling: task clustering * statement * group work * examinations * calendar * to-do list
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
- IT equipment and display screen assessment (DSE)
- Student Wellbeing
- Submission of work: online management * Blackboard * formats * storage * instructions to students * submission: arrangements and points * capping report * in-module retrieval * exceptions * group work * rationale for online submission.
- Academic Advising Framework
- Portfolios: types * student guidance * collected work.
- Receipting: online * other.
- Originality Checking / Turnitin.
- Marking assessments: allocating work * methods of marking * Blackboard * storage and system issues * originality checking / Turnitin * anonymous marking * grade-based assessments * legibility * deadlines * examinations *
- Feedback on assessments: methods * electronic feedback / non-electronic assessment * examinations * 3 week turnaround * storage and system issues *
- Internal and external moderation: external examiners.
- Recording and returning marks and feedback: Blackboard Grade Centre * deadlines * missing marks * student guidance
Assessment reflections: annual review * course and module review (CMR) * module evaluation questionnaires (MEQs) * departmental periodic reviews * student attainment / voice * student surveys * external examiners * college and departmental * next steps
News, development and networking opportunities
- November 2022: Assessment & Feedback Symposium 2022: Current problems and future solutions addressed virtually.
- May 2022: Advance HE have published their Impacts of Higher Education Assessment and Feedback Policy and Practice on Students: A review of literature 2016-2021 which provides an insight into the literature recognising that assessment and feedback practices are amongst the most powerful levers educators have for improving student learning.
- Read more about Hallam’s Advance HE Membership Benefits.
Take a look at the upcoming Assessment and Feedback events and activities on Academic Essentials: teaching and research development events & activities (category: assessment & feedback).
Join our Assessment for Applied Learning Forum!
|Last updated: 5th December 2022 NB|