Welcome to Assessment Essentials
You are here: Academic Essentials > Assessment Essentials
Curated by a range of stakeholders from across both academic and professional services teams, this resource aims to provide you with guidance and information to support the assessment and feedback journey from the design of inclusive, accessible assessment to the management of assessment activities and feedback methods through to reflecting on your module/course.
|This resource is maintained by the Academic Development & Diversity Team on behalf of our stakeholders. If you’d like to become a stakeholder and contribute to this resource, have a suggestion for content or just want to offer feedback, let us know!||Feedback|
|There are many assessment and feedback development opportunities both within Hallam and beyond. Visit Academic Essentials: teaching and research development: activities and events section for more details.||Events|
|Want to collaborate with colleagues on assessment and feedback? Join the Assessment for Applied Learning Forum!||Join us!|
|News, sector reports and Assessment Essentials resource statistics||Resources|
- Design Principles: assessment and awards * programme: quality specifications * course-focussed assessment * accessible and inclusive assessment * resources
- Assessment with ‘online in mind’: formative V summative assessment * digital technologies * ChatGTP software
- Learning Outcomes: description * writing *
- University Grade Descriptors (UGD): categorical marking
- Module assessment: learning outcomes * criteria and type * tasks and methods * verification and moderation
- Regulations: tariff * word limits * university grade descriptors * rubrics
- Feedback: design and types of feedback
- Re-assessments: departmental assessment boards (DABs) * extensions (request to repeat an assessment attempt (RRAA) and request to extend a submission deadline (RESD) * referrals * deferrals * continuing * sub-tasks * in-module retrieval * grade-based assessment
- Assessment scheduling: task clustering * statement * group work * examinations * calendar * to-do list
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI): Disability * Inclusive Practice * International * Race Equity * training and development.
- IT equipment and display screen assessment (DSE)
- Student Wellbeing
- Submission of work: online management * Blackboard * formats * storage * instructions to students * submission: arrangements and points * capping report * in-module retrieval * exceptions * group work * rationale for online submission.
- Academic Advising Framework
- Portfolios: types * student guidance * collected work.
- Receipting: online * other.
- Originality Checking / Turnitin.
- Marking assessments: allocating work * methods of marking * Blackboard * storage and system issues * originality checking / Turnitin * anonymous marking * grade-based assessments / UGD/categorical marking * legibility * deadlines * examinations *
- Feedback on assessments: methods * electronic feedback / non-electronic assessment * examinations * 3 week turnaround * storage and system issues *
- Internal and external moderation: external examiners.
- Recording and returning marks and feedback: Blackboard Grade Centre * deadlines * missing marks * student guidance
Assessment reflections: annual review * course and module review (CMR) * module evaluation questionnaires (MEQs) * departmental periodic reviews * student attainment / voice * student surveys * external examiners * college and departmental * next steps
News, sector reports and Assessment Essentials resource statistics
Advance HE News
- November 2022: Assessment & Feedback Symposium 2022: Current problems and future solutions addressed virtually.
- May 2022: Advance HE have published their Impacts of Higher Education Assessment and Feedback Policy and Practice on Students: A review of literature 2016-2021 which provides an insight into the literature recognising that assessment and feedback practices are amongst the most powerful levers educators have for improving student learning.
- Read more about Hallam’s Advance HE Membership Benefits.
Each month we collate the views and visitor data from the resource. This enables us to:
- See what our staff are looking at in terms of the resource content structure.
- Track data in relation to periods within the academic calendar.
- Review where we need to make changes to the structure and content.
- Share data with our stakeholders so that they can update/improve on the content provided to our academic colleagues.
This resource replaced the old-style platform (because of accessibility) and so the Assessment Essentials: data stats – visitors and views overview begin March 2022. If you have any feedback regarding the content of Assessment Essentials or the statistics, please contact the Academic Development & Diversity Team.
|Last updated: 31st January 2023 NB|