Skip to content

Student feedback opportunities

You are here: Assessment 4 Students > Student Feedback Opportunities

FeedbackThis section covers:

There are many opportunities for you as students to feedback on your module/courses throughout the academic year.  You can input into the following processes that can help inform future delivery of module/courses. 

Academic Year – schedule

Course Rep Meetings: Provide feedback to your course rep who meets with your module leaders. Provide feedback in semester/trimester 1, 2 and 3.

Academic Advisor: To discuss your academic progression. Here’s how to find out who your named Academic Adviser is. Provide feedback in semester/trimester 1, 2 and 3.

Student Module Evaluation Questionnaires (MEQs):  Provide feedback on your Semester 1 / Trimester 1 modules only.

If there are issues you need to feedback immediately on, take a look at the guidance on University Rules & Regulations > Study > Appeals and Complaints section for how you can give feedback or make a complaint.

Back to top of page

Module Feedback

When it comes to reviewing and reflecting on assessment, key information is gained from student feedback throughout the academic year that helps inform future delivery of modules.  In addition to feeding back on areas of improvement, it is important that positive comments are recorded to ensure that what works well will continue to be included within the module.

Information gathered from students on assessment and feedback is included within module reviews which provides the opportunity for module leaders to review module performance and quality, and to plan further enhancements over the coming year. If there are issues you need to feedback immediately on, you can:

  • Contact your module or course leader and discuss it with them directly.
  • Discuss with a member of staff you are comfortable talking with, for example an academic adviser.
  • Contact your course student representative and ask them to raise the issue on your behalf (if you’re not sure who your course representative is, ask your course leader).
  • Use any module or course evaluations that are carried out.

For feedback relating to your course, please contact your College directly.

Back to top of page

Student surveys and feedback

Whilst you are studying at Sheffield Hallam University you will be invited to take part in a number of surveys of your experience. The University realises that your time is valuable and works hard to try and avoid over-surveying, so we are currently monitoring which surveys are being carried out and reducing the amount of large scale surveys we ask you to do;

What happens to the results of student surveys?

The data you provide through internal and external student surveys makes a big difference to the university and is used in a number of ways:

  • to enable the University to identify what is working well for students and where there is room for improvement.
  • to provide people outside the University (future students, careers advisers, employers) with an accurate picture of the student experience.
  • to feed into the University’s processes for improving quality that are reported to external Government bodies.

Back to top of page

How do I make a complaint?

Complaints relating to teaching-related or service-related provision

At Sheffield Hallam University we aim to provide a supportive environment and to be responsive to concerns when they are raised.   You should raise problems and issues with us in a reasonable way in line with the Student Charter and the Student Code of Conduct. You need to be clear and concise and to think carefully about what you want to achieve as an outcome.

We are a large and complex organisation and we know that problems may arise from time to time about teaching-related or service-related provision. You are encouraged and expected to raise any problems or issues with us immediately so we have an opportunity to discuss these with you at an early stage. This prevents things becoming more complex and difficult to resolve. We take seriously all problems and issues raised with us and aim to deal with them in a timely, fair and consistent way. We will ensure that you are not disadvantaged as a result of raising an issue with us.

Early resolution – Most problems and issues are straightforward can be resolved very quickly. You should raise issues at the time they arise and to try and resolve them with the member of staff most directly involved with the concern you have. Early resolution is taken to mean by agreement with appropriate university staff without needing to complete and submit a Student Complaint Form. You should speak to or email the member of staff most directly involved with the problem or issue that you have. This is likely to be one of the following:-

  • Module Leader.
  • Course or Programme Leader.
  • Student Support Adviser.
  • Academic administration.
  • Hallam Help.
  • Student Support Services.

If you are not sure who to speak to, or you do not feel able to approach the person most directly involved, you can seek advice regarding this from your College helpdeskStudent Union Advice Centre, or any of the people listed above. You could also contact your student representative.  Student reps act as a communication link, bridging the gap between their fellow students and University staff by discussing any issues affecting their educational experience. There are two different types of Student Reps, Course and Department Reps.  If you are not sure who your rep is, contact your course leader for details. For further guidance, please visit University Rules & Regulations > Study > Appeals and Complaints section.

Back to top of page

Last updated: 11th March 2024 NB. For all enquiries regarding this page, please contact the ADI Team.