Writing Practice Examples

What is a practice example?

They are brief 100 word descriptions of activity drawn from your typical range of work which clearly demonstrate an individual element of the UKPSF Dimensions of Practice. They should show that you engage with that dimension on a regular basis; the example thus constitutes an established part of your professional practice. They can include things you do (see examples below), roles you undertake (eg course leader, external examiner, committee participation) or activities you engage in (networks, research etc.) However, they should be focused on learning, teaching and assessment (LTA) and not management or organisationally focused activity.

What makes a good example?

An example should provide a focused description of practice which:

• Is specific (i.e. it actually happened; quantify if appropriate (eg numbers of learners); level of course; )
  • Is individual (is about your own practice and written in the first person)
  • Is located in time (perhaps frequency: weekly/termly/annually; or provide date/date-range)

Writing your examples

The term ‘example’ does not limit you to one piece of evidence. Sometimes you may find it easier to show a range of examples (such as assessment methods, or use of learning technologies). However, avoid generic statements which could apply to anyone teaching in HE in any subject! Try to draw out your own practice by including a rationale or a distinctive implementation.

Consider:

‘I deliver lectures using powerpoint’ versus ‘to improve engagement in large lectures on Module X I set pre-lecture problems and then use Socrative to gather students’ solutions;’

‘I develop resources and materials to support student learning…’ versus ‘I have developed a workbook in PebblePad to support students undertaking project work by providing structured guidance for each stage of the project…’

Sometimes you can lead on from generic statements and exemplify them:

‘I try to develop resources and materials to support student learning. For example, I have developed a workbook in PebblePad to support students undertaking project work by providing structured guidance for each stage of the project…’

‘I like to use technology to enhance learning. For example, to improve engagement in large lectures on Module X I set pre-lecture problems and then used Socrative to gather students’ solutions.’

For further support in writing your examples, have a look at some Exemplars.