Where are they now – Graduate Journeys #3

This is the third in our series of ‘Where are they now?’ features on previous exhibiting students.  We had an informal question and answer session with Daniel Weaver, who graduated from the BA (Hons) Film and Visual Effects degree with first class honours in 2011.  Daniel’s artwork is on display in the Adsetts Centre as part of the student artwork exhibition and it inspires students and staff alike with his eye-catching images.

Daniel Weaver
BA (Hons) Film and Visual Effects

1.  What are you up to these days – for example, work/ study/ projects you’re working on?

I currently work in Digital and Social Marketing. I’m co-launching a social network and business named StarFinder with a team of people who are mostly from SHU. It’s a network that allows people in creative industries to manage their entire digital portfolio in a powerful way, using social networking features.

2.  If the opportunity came up, what dream or ambition would you like to fulfill?

🙂 Well sometimes our dreams and day-to-day life don’t line up do they? I’d like to be a feature film director. Or an astronaut. 

Before and after images, from Daniel’s final year project.

3.  What was the best thing about your studies that made an impression on you?

The attitude of the people I spoke to. They were very passionate about what they do and I love that in people. People didn’t care if your passion aligned with theirs, just that you had some. I lived and worked in a lot of other places before I moved to Sheffield. I love the hard working, friendly and positive attitude of the people here.  There is no pretense.  I had fantastic tutors at SHU who guided me through my course, and let me learn what I needed to know at my own pace.

4.  If someone at the start of their degree asked you for advice, what would be your most valuable tip?

If the type of work you go into requires networking… Network. A Lot. Get as much done before you even get out of uni because so much of what you do afterwards depends on it.

5.  And finally… Looking back, is there anything you’d do differently?

Yes. Always. I’d promote myself more. Network more. And be more confident in my own ideas and aspirations.

We’d like to thank Daniel for his time and contribution to the blog, and wish him all the best for the future – he’s a pleasure to work with!  To find out more about Daniel’s work, and his latest project, you can visit his website at www.99media.co.uk, follow him on twitter at @DanBigHero, or go to StarFinder: www.starfinderpro.com