Academic Contacts and Communications
You are here: Academic Essentials > Academic Contacts and Communications
Academic Contacts and Communications aims to provide you with a range of guidance, information and resources
In the first instance, please use our dedicated search list ‘looking for something in particular’.
This provides you with links to the source of content. Wherever there are multiple sources, these will appear on this page. As part of the development of Academic Essentials, we are working with our stakeholders to bring together all multiple sources of content into one place.
The content here has been curated by a range of stakeholders from across both academic and professional services teams and is managed by the Academic Development & Inclusivity Team.
|Academic Staff Contacts||Academic Communications|
Academic Staff Contacts
University Executive Board (UEB)
University Executive Board – to ensure that an appropriate level of consideration is given to strategic decisions, that there is accountability for those decisions and that effective leadership of and communication with staff across the University is achieved.
Senior Leadership Group (SLG) and assistants – contacts
Here we have a list of SLG staff and their assistants’ contacts details.
For details of College / Department / Contacts master sheet (Excel doc). You can also see further details on the relevant College site:
College of Business, Technology and Engineering (BTE)
|Key College Contacts|
Health, Wellbeing and Life Sciences (HWLS)
|Department, Teams and Centres * College Leadership Team|
College of Social Sciences and Arts (SSA)
|Meet the College: for departments, research centres and college and professional services.|
Research staff – within our Research and Innovation areas.
Academic Leadership Roles
|Visit Support for course and module delivery overview for more details.|
|Visit Academic Development & Diversity: Course Leadership – support and development programme.|
|Visit Academic Development & Diversity: External Examining – development programme.|
|Visit Academic Development & Diversity: Module Leadership – support and development programme.|
All staff contacts
- You can find phone numbers and more details about staff in the Office 365 ‘People Search’ on the staff intranet and in other Microsoft applications.
- You can still find external email addresses in the format <name>@shu.ac.uk if you need to, but these sit separately – in the old staff details search. You’ll find them by clicking the ‘Search more’ button on the intranet home page, please note that you will need to connect to the Virtual Private Network (VPN) to use the staff details search tool.
- More guidance is available on the intranet home page.
About our staff – information about the people within the Hallam community. You can create your own academic and research staff profile – visit the staff profiles guidance SharePoint page for more details.
Academic Development and Diversity Team (ADD)
The Academic Development & Diversity Team provides academic workforce development and support to enable the delivery of effective and inclusive pedagogic and academic practices. Contacts:
- ! Academic Development & Diversity inbox
- Our dedicated Twitter account @SHU_AcDev
- Members of the team
Business Engagement, Skills and Employability (BESE)
The Directorate of Business Engagement, Skills and Employability (BESE) comprises of three specific work streams:
- Business Operations and Delivery
- Business Engagement and Growth
- Academic Strategic Employability
Student Experience, Teaching and Learning (SETL)
The Directorate of Student Experience, Teaching and Learning (SETL) comprises of three specific work streams:
- Student Engagement, Evaluation and Research (STEER)
- Digital Learning Team (DLT)
- Teaching and Learning Operations
Student and Academic Services (SAS)
Student and Academic Services (SAS) brings together:
- Academic Services – comprises a central Registry aligned with an Academic Administration service distributed across the academic departments of the University. Registry comprises three elements (Registry Operations, Student Systems and Reporting, Student Policy and Compliance) which together are responsible for student lifecycle processes, co-ordination of user functionality, process delivery and meeting external stakeholder requirements.
- Academic Administration – promotes consistency and a holistic, end-to-end approach to supporting the student experience. The Service is led by Helen Aram, Head of Academic Administration and Sue Hughes, Deputy Head of Academic Administration. This includes College/Departmental support such as course admin teams.
- Library and Campus Services
- Student Support Services
- Technical Operations, Resources and Services (TORS)
SHU Parent and Carer Staff Network
SAScade – Student and Academic Services (SAS)
The Student and Academic Services (SAS) directorate publish their own newsletter SAScade each month that highlights activities from the various teams within SAS.
Academic Services compile a:
- list of communications to staff in relation to changes or issues with the SITS system or one of the associated Student Lifecycle Processes. The information from these communications is uploaded to the timeline of teaching and learning activities.
- list of communications to students in relation to changes or issues with the SITS system or one of the associated Student Lifecycle Processes.
- Further information about SITS can be found on the support for course and module design and delivery overview page.
University’s Internal Communications Team
The Recruitment, Communications and Marketing Team can work with you to provide strategic communications direction and planning. They create and manage key messages and delivery through central channels for major projects and campaigns. Their Internal Communications Toolkit provides you with practical resources to get you started and here you can make contact with the team.
Take a look at all the central communications channels the team use to circulate messages to both staff and students, which include:
- Academic Digest – first Friday of the month to all academic and research staff.
- Hallam Managers Brief – fortnightly to all Line Managers.
- Beyond Covid Updates – fortnightly staff digest to all colleagues.
- We are Hallam – Monday, Wednesday and Fridays.
- Student Digest – fortnightly newsletter to students. You can submit content for the student digest via ! Student Communications and cc Adam Anson
- Intranet and social media – updated regularly.
- All staff briefings and events
Writing for The Conversation
The Conversation is an independent source of news and views, written by the academic and research community. Editors work with university experts to unlock knowledge for use by the media and wider public – through comment on topical news stories or publication of new research.
|Last updated: 20th November 2023 NB|