September 2023 application details
Applications are now closed for the September 2023 cohort of the Hallam Academic Award: PgCert Teaching in Higher Education.
Details of future course dates will be published on this page when available.
Course details (September 2023 only)
The course runs in term time at City Campus.
It is aimed at academic staff who do not hold a teaching qualification in higher education and are new or relatively new to teaching in higher education.
The course aims to develop an evidence based, reflective and critical approach to learning, teaching and assessment in higher education. It leads to Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA status) via the University’s framework for continuing professional development (TALENT) and it is led by staff from the Sheffield Institute of Education with guest speakers from across the wider institution. Peer networking is an essential and much appreciated component with many useful connections made within and across Colleges.
- The course takes place on Fridays.
- Module 1 starts with a mandatory two-day study block on Thursday 14 and Friday 15 September 2023 (week 7). Sessions are then weekly from week 9 to 20 (Friday 29 September to Friday 15 December) .
- Module 2 starts on Friday 26 January 2024 (week 26) and runs to Friday 26 April (week 39) with the Easter break in weeks 35 and 36.
As part of the Hallam Academic Award, there is an additional CPD offer to develop staff skills in research, delivered by colleagues from our Doctoral School. More details on this will be provided to colleagues at the start of the course.
Staff are entitled to 270 hours remission on work plans (pro-rata for part time staff) to attend the course. Staff time must be protected to enable them to attend all sessions of the course, which means free from teaching on Fridays across both semesters.
The course is centrally funded for Hallam teaching staff. The entry requirements include a minimum of 60 hours of scheduled teaching across the year (most staff will have more than this).
- Any colleagues who have already applied for the Hallam Academic Award please re-apply for September 2023 using the simple internal application form and follow instructions as per new applicants.
- Currently this provision is only available to academic staff in teaching roles. The course team are working with colleagues in Academic Development and Diversity (AD&D) on the CPD offer for a wider range of staff at the university (including associate lecturers) and more information will be available in due course.
Guidance for staff applying to do the PgCert THE
Firstly, gain the support of your line manager to attend the course
- Complete the internal application form (link below) and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wait for your offer email.
- Fulfil any conditions – this might be for your line manger to confirm your scheduled teaching hours or it could relate to your visa or fee status.
- Accept your unconditional offer when you receive it.
- Pre-enrol online when prompted to do so – this will normally be before the study block at the start of module 1.