Health difficulties?

Everybody experiences ill health from time to time. If you are unwell and need medical treatment, you can register at the SHU Medical Centre on Level 1 of the Surrey Building.

Health (2)

Illness and difficult circumstances

If you find that ill health is affecting your studies, you may wish to speak to your Student Support Advisor. You can contact them via any of the Hallam Help Points at both campuses.  You may wish to consider applying for a Request to Repeat an Assessment Attempt (RRAA)  if a short term medical problem is affecting your studies.

See shuspace for more information.

Long term health difficulties

If you experience on-going, long term health difficulties, or identify as having a disability, you may be eligible for a learning contract from Disabled Student Support.


A learning contract provides more in-depth and on-going support. You may be eligible for a learning contract if you experience any of the following:

  • A medical condition / ongoing illness
  • A mental health difficulty (for example anxiety or depression)
  • A specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia or dyspraxia)
  • Mobility difficulty
  • Visual impairment
  • Hearing impairmant / deafness
  • Aspergers Syndrome / Autistic Spectum Condition

Contact the Disabled Student Support team on or telephone 0114 225 3964 or call into any Hallam Help Point for further information.

Please note you can also find more information on shuspace about the support available.