Earlier in the year we published a series of blog posts sharing the experiences of some of our mature students. If you missed them first time round, here they are again.

We’re also pleased to share a new blog post from another of our current mature students, Jade Hicks.

Over to you Jade…

Student midwife Hicks

JadeHi I’m Jade I’m currently doing a midwifery degree, I live in Maltby not too far away although morning traffic begs to differ! So I commute to Uni, I am married and have a family; a daughter, son and step daughter.

Midwifery was always my dream career but life came along!! After sixth form, a gap year turned into a job I liked, and then children, and jobs to fit around my children.

But I vowed I would always return to my dream!! Its never to late. After feeling I had my children settled and secure I returned to study and freshened up my skills and achieved the entry grades I needed, which included 2 long years retaking maths!!

I started in September 2015 and I am really enjoying it so far.

Placements are a big part of a healthcare course. Like everyone I had some worries before starting my placement. Would I fit in? Would I be exhausted? Would my children ever get out of their pyjamas? What about my housework!! What if everyone’s an ogre!!

But I’m pleased to say everyone was friendly and made me very welcome and it’s great that the pieces of the jigsaw are now fitting together as I see the things we learned about in lectures being practiced. Now I am actually doing it, its great to get stuck in and be part of it!

Preparing for placementB2B-Service-for-Business-122-Healthcare

I have been asked to share some top tips for preparing for placement, which you can find below. 

Tips for placement

• Keep a placement journal and write in it after each shift, it helps to reflect on the day and remember what has happened as well as new things that you have done and learnt. The journal also helps when it comes to doing assignments or any work that requires a case study from placement as well as helping you to practice reflection. The journal is also nice to look back on and see how far you have come. Remember to keep everything anonymous.
  • Bring a big bottle of water for placement- it helps to tackle tiredness and headaches on those long shifts.
  • Bring plenty of snacks to keep refuelled.
  • Have hand gel in your pocket, along with mints!
  • If you’ve got a busy shift on the ward, always make sure you ask for your break. Your mentor is really busy and will sometimes forget to send you for one but you are entitled to a break so make sure you have one.
  • Don’t turn down the opportunity to practice your skills even if you have been shown 10 times before.
  • Say hello, be friendly and smile– it goes a long way! (making tea is also a great way to settle in! Its always appreciated!)
  • Never be afraid to say if you don’t understand something, the staff are always happy to help and would rather you say instead of struggle.
  • Always set aside time to fill out your documents with your mentor on your placement, for example your Common Assessment Document, Record of Experience, Clinical Skills and Medicines management.
  • Your paperwork is very important, It is your responsibility to set aside time with your mentor to discuss your progress and complete the documents. Don’t leave it until the last minute as it can be very stressful with everything else you have going on.
  • Have a look through your documents to see what needs to be signed off and if you have achieved a competency after you’ve finished your shift, sticky markers are helpful to make it easier to identify the pages.
  • If you are not happy on placement with something, make sure you speak up! Everybody wants you to enjoy your placements so tell your academic advisor or your learning environment manager.
  • Ask your mentor depending on the situation what she would like you to do on your placement because each mentor is different.

Also remember when it feels really challenging (which it will do at points) think about the bigger picture of why you are doing this and keep motivated!