Students have been telling us what they think about our Student Advice drop-in service – and it’s great news!

A few days after each drop-in appointment that a student attends, we email the student asking them to complete a short survey electronically. We use the results of this survey to improve the information and advice we give to students, and to control the quality of our customer service.

“I was able to discuss possible actions that I could take and I gained a clear idea of what I needed to do” (Student A&I drop-in feedback – April 2014)

The Student Advice drop-in is an impartial service which gives you space in which to explore your options if, for example, you’re in the process of making a difficult decision. We won’t try and tell you what to do but we will try and give you information that will help you to understand your options and the implications of each one. We’ll help you to think things through, so that hopefully you feel better placed to make your own decision about what to do and how to get further support if you want it.

Feedback graph clear about options

72% of students surveyed left our drop-in feeling ‘fairly or very clear’ about their options after speaking to a student adviser, an improvement of 27%.

Feedback graph implications of decisions

72% of students surveyed left our drop-in feeling ‘fairly or very clear’ about the implications involved in their decision (e.g. Student Finance), an improvement of 18%.

“After leaving the appointment I felt as if there was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I had been struggling to make sense of my student finance application and it felt as if nothing was going to be sorted anytime soon!” (Student A&I drop-in feedback – March 2014)

Katy

If you would like more information about the Student Advice drop-in, see shuspace or telephone 0114 225 3813. You can also email us at guidance@shu.ac.uk, follow us @SHUhelp or pop into one of our Student Services Centres, level 5 Owen Building, City Campus or Heart of the Campus, Collegiate Campus.

Please note, the University will be closed from Thursday 25th December and will re-open on Monday 5th January. During this time, you can still access the learning centres. See shuspace for further information.