Welcome to October’s edition of the Social Sciences and Humanities News Bulletin
If you would like to share any news stories, process updates or events, please email !SSHComms and we would be happy to include it in any future editions.
In this issue
• SSH staff news • SSH research centre news • SSH department news • SSH in the media • Staff wellbeing • Process updates • Estates news • Events • Training and opportunities
• Hallam awarded University of the Year for Teaching Quality • AOP update • Developing the University’s Connections with Professional Practice
SSH Research Centre News
• Expert evidence given to government as part of inquiry • Visiting delegation from 7 officials of Busan Metropolitan Council, South Korea • Key note address at Scottish Federation of Housing Associations Housing Management conference • CeBSAP seminar series • Festival of Social Science
SSH Department News
• Book publications • Student placement that has led internship with South Yorkshire Police • Publication on regulations of football agents • Graduate win at 2019 CIAT Architectural Tech awards • Fundraising success- 7 challenges in 7 months • Community engagement with alcohol decision making research released • New staff members introductions• Student blog publications for Twinkl • SYF Talent Bank website launch
• Article on the Elephant Hawk moth caterpillar for Sheff Telegraph • Supreme Court Hearing of the proroguing of parliament discussion on Hallam FM • BBC Radio Sheff interview on how communities can make changes to sustainable living • Article in Sheffield Star about socialist poet & LGBT activist Edward Carpenter• BBC Radio Sheffield interview about Amery ice shelf
• LGBTea launch • Random Coffee • Staff Disability Network • Parent & Carers Network • Genders Network • Staff Wellbeing support • Hallam Race Network • EU Staff Network • Hallam Physiotherapy clinic
• Windows 10 roll out update • Catering Services update • Assessment items in Blackboard• • Changes to academic and student regulation • Academic English classes • Student Success Scholarship applications open • New staff volunteering policy • Phishing email attacks • Academic digest • New SHU card collection point
• Black History Month • Identifying and supporting STEM for young children •Off the Shelf festival • Ireland and the UK in Brexit World lecture seminar • Creative writing masterclasses • October Transforming Lives sessions • Research data management • Festival of Social Science
• Grow MedTech Partnership Funding • VC’s all staff recorded event • Doctorate in Education • Twinkl world record attempt • Creative writing masterclasses • Simply Textbooks
As a member of the central Internal Communications team, my aim is to ensure that staff are kept up to date and informed with what is happening both across the University and at a local level. Working closely with Danielle Allen, the SSH Faculty Operations Manager, I share information using staff email, the monthly news bulletin, our SSH intranet site and social media.
If you have any faculty related events, research or local success stories that you would like to share, you can email me ! SSH Comms or phone #5664 and I would be happy to have a chat about how I can support you moving forward.
Please follow us on Twitter to get up to date news and information about what is happening in the faculty and University on a daily basis