The Empowered Learner?
16th December 2016
**Early bird booking is now OPEN**
We are delighted to announce the second Social Media for Learning in Higher Education Conference to be hosted at Sheffield Hallam University.
#SocMedHE16 : The Empowered Learner? will build upon #SocMedHE15’s Finding our social identity theme where we established our common interest in developing our understanding of social media for learning in HE.
With social media, we have an array of simple and powerful tools that help us think creatively and critically about learner empowerment. It is time for us to better understand the potential of social media to change the learning experience of students and academics in higher education. Are we empowering students by adopting and adapting social, open, mobile and networked learning and media? How critically are we shaping the opportunity that is emerging? How sure are we that the social, open and networked space, with all of the autonomy it suggests, is good for our students?
The HE sector needs to be able to address these questions, and others, before the place for social media in higher education learning is clear. The social media for learning landscape is vibrant and remains full of possibilities. Only together will we begin to reliably develop its potential.
#SocMedHE16 encourages submissions that address the theme of the Empowered Learner and the implications this has for the academic and student experience. Submissions from students, teaching staff, support staff, managers and those working in the sector are all welcome. Indicative themes for research, case studies or discussion pieces include, but are not restricted to:
- Autonomous development and ownership of learning experience
- Making connections and becoming networked, communities of practice
- Applying personal experience in a professional sphere
- Becoming digitally capable in a social world
- Being informed and in control of your digital identity
- The student-teacher relationship
- Authentic learning experiences
- The evolution of curriculum design
- Change agents, scaling up and moving beyond the cottage industry
Key dates for your diary:
- Early bird rate ends 21st November 2016
- Pre-conference social event 15th December 2016 – 6pm onwards
@SocMedHE on Twitter (see the Twitter feed on the right of this page),
If you have questions please email email@example.com, and we’ll do our best to answer them.