What do you know about the intended audience? Who are they? Remember that reaching ‘everyone’ is not realistic. Try to distill it down a bit using some questions – and maybe even some basic demographics.
- Which platforms do your audience use most?
- Which platforms are they comfortable engaging with you on?
- What kind of things do they talk about on those platforms?
- Are they content creators, critics, conversationalists, lurkers?
- What do they want from you?
- How can you deliver it on social media?
Having a clear picture of who you’re trying to reach will help you plan the best approach to things like tone of voice and customer service. It will also help you start to plan your content and, if you’re serious about social, measure the effectiveness of what you’re doing.
It’s really important to remember to have conversations with your audiences on social media, and not just broadcast at them. Social media enables two-way dialogue, and that’s what audiences are used to.