Have you ever wanted to have access to the files on your computer or laptop whilst at University? Perhaps you left your memory stick at home or even worse left if plugged into a PC somewhere?
With Google Drive you can store and access your files anywhere, whether its on the web, on your hard drive, or on the go. All students at Sheffield Hallam University get a generous 30GB of storage absolutely free!
Here’s how it works:
- Go to Google Drive on the web at and sign in with your student account.
- Install Google Drive on your computer or mobile device.
- Throw your files in Google Drive. It’s right there on your device.
Now your files go everywhere you do. Change a file on the web, on your computer, or on your mobile device and it updates on every device where you’ve installed Google Drive. Share, collaborate, or work alone: your files, your choice.
Update: IT Security Officer Andy Fearnley has pointed out:
- If you are working with sensitive or personal data, you need to be aware of SHU policies regarding the handling and storage of such data (see shuspace, Academic Regulations and Student Policies or http://eisf.shu.ac.uk for a full list of all relevant SHU Policies.
- Please take precautions to safeguard the information held on personal devices by using encryption and password protection.
- You can only install the app on your own personal devices, not SHU owned ones.
- Google drive can be accessed through a web interface, but this does not automatically synchronise your files and folders.