This combined workshop is intended to be of benefit to a wide range of Sheffield Hallam staff with an interest in, or responsibility for, research degree student examinations. It is likely to be of particular interest to inexperienced research degree examiners and staff who are considering putting themselves forward for an examiner or Independent Chair role.
- to raise awareness of the University’s Research Degree Examination Procedures;
- to explore the roles of the internal and external examiner;
- to explore the role of the independent chair
- to provide an opportunity for sharing good practice;
- to encourage debate on the issues around the definition and maintenance of research degree standards;
- to explore the management and conduct of the viva voce examination.
- Case studies – to consider and discuss
- Awareness of Learning Contracts for research students in the operation of a viva
- Suggestions for enhancements to process and/or documentation
Resources from previous workshops (which ran as separate sessions):