There is a lot to remember when you are getting ready to travel to a new country, so here is a checklist to help you.
After you have received your offer
- Return the acceptance slip included in your offer letter.
- Ensure you have adequate funds for staying in the UK.
- Apply for a visa/entry clearance (non-EU students only).
Before you leave
- Plan to arrive before the start date of your exchange and the Orientation Programme.
- Book your accommodation at www.shu.ac.uk/accommodation
- Send us your arrival details and book on to the Manchester Airport pick-up service at go.shu.ac.uk/arrival
- Arrange medical insurance if you are in the UK for less than six months.
- Arrange travel insurance for your possessions.
- Order British currency and/or travellers’ cheques for immediate expenses upon arrival.
- Check whether your government has restrictions on how much money you can take out of your country.
- Photocopy important documents and make notes of serial numbers. Pack these separately from the originals.
What to bring in your hand luggage
- Your passport and visa (if applicable) or national identity card
- The letter of acceptance for your exchange.
- Medication and details of medical conditions. Bring a letter from your doctor detailing any prescribed drugs you are taking.
- Details and policy wording for any insurance you have arranged.
- Enough money in sterling and/or travellers’ cheques for your first few weeks.
- Any accommodation contracts/payments you have been asked to bring with you.