Finding Accommodation


Information about finding accommodation in Sheffield can be found at

Once you have been offered a place to study with us as an exchange student, you will be able to start applying for your accommodation. For exchange students who are studying in either Semester 1 (September – January) or Semester 2 (January – May) the University have a limited number of rooms suitable for non-standard course students, i.e. 1st sem, 2nd sem.  You should apply online and choose the ‘non-standard course student’ option when completing the online application form.

It is important that you refer to our terms and conditions of application for further information.

Cost of living in Sheffield

You will need at least £800 per month to cover basic living expenses. Living in Sheffield can be a little cheaper than in some other UK cities, depending on your personal lifestyle. The International Student Calculator can help you to manage your money at Please ensure that you have reliable funding from a sponsor, your family or an Erasmus grant before you leave.

If you choose to live in a private sector house, a landlord may expect you to pay a month’s rent in advance. You may also need to budget for bills – for example electricity, heating, water, phone and internet rental. You may also have to pay for a hotel on your arrival if you have not organised your accommodation. This will cost approximately £50–£70 per night.

Residential support service

Our residential support service can help you deal with issues you may experience whilst living away from your home environment, such as

  • your health and wellbeing
  • living away from home for the first time
  • lifestyle issues
  • safety and security
  • community integration

For more information, email

Safety and security

Your safety and security are of great importance to us. The University’s security service operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year. The service aims to ensure a safe and secure environment for students to study and reside in during their time here.

Welfare, rights and free advice

Accommodation Services is open throughout the year offering specialist help and advice and can be contacted at

August and September are very busy for us and although we deal with all enquiries and applications as quickly as possible, we ask you to be patient at these times. Our aim is to reply to all applications and enquiries within ten working days.

You can also visit the Advice Centre at the Students Union as they provide guidance on housing issues – including legal advice.


We recommend that all students take out insurance cover.

All University allocated accommodation automatically comes with mandatory limited insurance for personal belongings and personal accident from cover4students. Full details, including amounts, limitations and exclusions, will be provided at the time of receiving your accommodation offer.

If you live in private sector accommodation you will need to arrange your own personal possessions insurance.

Sheffield Hallam University is not responsible for the content of external websites.