Timage1aking on a marathon is always a huge challenge, the physical and mental strength and the long and overwhelming training schedule, making yourself get out running no matter what the weather or your level of motivation. For me, this epic journey began on Boxing Day 2016 (no ones’ ideal time to start any type of training regime!).

Taking on such a huge challenge also provides an incredible opportunity to fundraise and support charities which are close to your heart – In my case both personally and professionally. Participants in the London Marathon raised almost £60million in 2016. Turning a challenge into something so positive is one of the many powerful things it does.

As the UK Student Recruitment Team we are extremely passionate about our work with groups who need additional support in accessing Higher Education. Young Carers are a key group who we work with to support their progression to University. Sheffield Young Carers is a charity where I am proud to call myself a Trustee. It is the perfect group to do fundraising for such a challenge. There are over 7000 young people with caring responsibilities in the city and the charity do an incredible job working hard with as many young people and their families as possible. They provide 1-2-1 support, group activities, respite holidays and support with education, employment and training. The latter being one of the main links to our Widening Participation and Outreach work at Sheffield Hallam University.

Having raised over £1300 for the charity was an incredible motivator on the day. Nothing prepares you for the highs and the lows of the day itself, and keeping my ‘reason to run’ firmly in mind helped through some very tough times. The highs would definitely include; the incredible sights which just seem to appear around the corners just when you need them the most – gasping at approaching Tower Bridge is something I will never forget, the incredibly enthusiastic volunteers, the crowds, the music and entertainment, the camaraderie between runners telling you that ‘you got this’ and to ‘keep going’ when you just want to give up and hearing and reading their incredible stories, the witty signs “pain is just French for bread” and “you are nearly at the end, #fake news” at mile 8. The tough parts would have to be the heat, volumes of people to negotiate, staying sane when feeling like you are about to collapse and you still have 8 miles to go or people cooking sausages right by the side of the road when you are starving! 26.2 miles is not a distance to be underestimated!

I dragged myself to the finish sub 5 hours, which is a huge personal achievement. It is an experience which I won’t ever forget, and I may even have the bug to give it another go! More importantly than any of that, I raised funds and awareness for young people with caring responsibilities. A marathon is huge but not as huge as the challenges and responsibilities which many young people are dealing with every single day. Providing care when you are still learning about life yourself is something to be exceptionally proud of.

This post was written by Cathy Sinclair, Head of UK Student Recruitment at Sheffield Hallam