Energising your Academic Career

Thursday January 7th 2016 09:30 – 16:30
Heart of the Campus, Collegiate 

This is an important event designed to support the professional development of academic staff. It will help you to understand the opportunities (both formal and informal) available for enhancing your professional profile and progressing your career.

Who is it for?

“I’m at a crucial point in my career journey; I need to boost my profile in preparation for an application for promotion”
“I am not sure what the next chapter in my story will be”
“I have lost sight of what kind of academic I want to be”
“I’d like to have a more exciting public profile but I need inspiration!”

Evidence from across the sector shows that it is very common for mid-career academics to feel ‘stuck’. They are confused about the next chapter of their career, usually because they are trying to do/be too many things. This event is intended to help energise and support colleagues who are looking to refresh and enhance their academic profile. It is open to all, but specifically aimed at those at Senior Lecturer level or above.

What are the benefits of attending?

• Improve your knowledge of the opportunities available at SHU for enhancing your academic profile and progressing your career.
  • Analyse your personal development needs by identifying strengths and areas for future development.
  • Develop a stronger academic identity and cultivate stronger synergies between your research and teaching.
  • Come together with colleagues from other disciplines and learn from each others’ experiences.

What format will it take?

Morning sessions will take the form of ‘Authentic Stories’. In a series of short vignettes, invited colleagues will reflect on their own career journeys and highlight the significant moments, the people who helped/inspired them and the challenges they faced. There will be an opportunity to ask questions and reflect on how the different experiences relate to your own context.

At lunchtime, you will have the opportunity to network and discuss ideas with colleagues from different departments. You will be invited to sign up for afternoon sessions which resonate with your own individual needs and interests.

The afternoon sessions will consist of interactive workshops and advice clinics which will help to improve your understanding of the different resources and facilities available at SHU to support your academic development.

If you have any enquiries, please email us. Follow us on Twitter @SHULTEvents for all the latest news and don’t forget to include #SHUenergise when tweeting about the event!

programme and booking