Chaplains and Faith Advisers

Anglican Chaplain and Co-ordinating Chaplain
The Revd Helena Roulston
I oversee the work of our Multifaith Chaplaincy as it seeks to support students and staff at Sheffield Hallam. Our particular focus is on matters relating to faith and religious belief but our door is open to all. I am a Christian priest in the Anglican tradition and enjoy meeting new people and exploring new places.
T.  0114 225315  E. h.roulston@shu.ac.uk

Roman Catholic Chaplain to the Sheffield Universities
Fr Lee Marshall
I’m Fr Lee. I like a nice brew, real ale and a good walk in the Peak District. I’m also a big fan of Jesus who called me to become a Catholic Priest in 2013. I’m here to support and journey with you in your time in Sheffield so please get in touch if I can help in any way.

Bahá’í Faith Advisor
Helen Hellaby
As a Bahá’í, I try to live my life in accordance with the teachings of Baha’u’lláh, in which the emphasis is above all on unity – unity at every level. I teach in the Department of Management, and it is an honour to serve as Bahá’í Faith Advisor at Sheffield Hallam

Buddhist Faith Advisor
John Darwin
I have been a Buddhist most of my life, and practice in the SotoZen tradition.  I also teach mindfulness courses in SHU and elsewhere which are open to those of all religions and none.  In keeping with the Mindfulness Based Life Enhancement course which I teach, I do my best to savour life!

Ecological Spiritualities Faith Advisor
Sue North-Bates
Contemporary Pagan and Ecological Spiritualties share the underlying premise that our relationships with the divine and numinous are best experienced in the natural world. If you are interested in these areas of spirituality and would like to join our community of practice, please get in touch.

Evangelical Faith Advisor
Anderson Moyo
I am the Senior Pastor of Sheffield Community Church, a growing international church with a diversity of people from various nations and ethnicities around the world. I work with my chaplaincy colleagues to offer pastoral support to students and staff at the university.

Hindu Faith Advisor
Ruchika Julka
I practice Hinduism both as a religion and a way of life. Since moving to Sheffield in 2007 I have developed close links with the Indian and Hindu communities and would be happy to provide advice/guidance on matters relating to the Hindu faith. I work at the university in the International Student Support Team.

Humanist Advisor
Michael Heap
I am a Humanist and offer support to people of any or no particular faith and anyone wishing to develop their own personal philosophy on life.  I am by profession a psychologist.  I have always worked with people with mental health problems and more recently offenders.  I have lived in Sheffield for 31 years.

Jewish Faith Advisor
Lesley Klaff
I have served as Jewish Faith Advisor since 2004 and I also teach Law at Sheffield Hallam. If you are new to Sheffield and would like to meet members of the local Jewish community, help to start a Jewish student society, or if you witness or experience anti-Semitism on campus, then please get in touch

Methodist Faith Advisor
Donna Cox
I am a minister at Victoria Hall Methodist Church where I lead Oasis, a Sunday evening gathering with discussion and worship.

Muslim Faith Advisor
Youcef Djerbib
With my colleague Dr Khan, I help the Multifaith Chaplaincy respond to any issues related to Muslim beliefs and practices. We strive to help create a good environment for the Muslim students and staff at Sheffield University, and work closely with the Islamic Society.

Muslim Faith Advisor
Akram Khan
I am here to help Muslim students at the University manage any faith-related issues that may affect their studies. As an ambassador of Islam I seek to inspire the students to work hard in order to achieve high spiritual and academic standards.

Sikh Faith Advisor
Surinder S. Dhillon
I have considerable involvement with the Sikh community both in and beyond Sheffield. Please get in touch if you have any questions about the Sikh religion, or if any issues arise on campus. We have a beautiful purpose-built gurdwara at Attercliffe where you will find a warm welcome

Quaker Faith Advisor
Sian Lewis
I have a liberal Christian faith and am happy to discuss faith issues, and offer support in making sense of life’s challenges. I previously worked as an NHS psychologist, and prior to that in HE.
Sheffield is my home city; for me, the best aspects include the huge diversity of people and traditions within this city, and the peak district.

Unitarian Faith Advisor
Andy Phillips
Unitarians are diverse spiritual seekers who form loving communities around the common search. As minister of Upper Chapel I am happy to support students across a range of non-dogmatic faith approaches, including liberal Christianity and religious humanism. Previously an academic with a STEM subject background, I remain familiar with current HE issues.

Muslim Faith Advisor
Nuzrath Mowlana
I am one of the Muslim faith advisors for Sheffield Hallam students, seeking to support you throughout your university journey. Having spent the last few years as a student at Hallam I understand just how challenging university can be. My door is open to any and all students regardless of faith or beliefs.

About the Multifaith Chaplaincy

Chaplaincy Activities