Meet the Team

Hello, we’re Student Wellbeing, here to offer confidential support and advice for personal and emotional issues that are having an impact on your studies, work and life. The service comprises wellbeing practitioners, inclusive support staff and a service co-ordinator.

Wellbeing Practitioners

Wellbeing practitioners are qualified in a range of disciplines and bring their expertise to deliver Wellbeing Group Sessions and appointments, as well as promoting wellbeing throughout the University and selecting self-help materials to support students and staff.

Andrea Baker
I am one of the Student Wellbeing Practitioners in the Student Wellbeing Service, and I am an Occupational Therapist registered with the HCPC (Healthcare Professions Council). My background is in mental health, having previously worked as an Occupational Therapist within a Community Mental Health Team. I have worked at Sheffield Hallam in various support roles since 2008. I am relatively new to this team, and I love working within a team of people who are passionate about supporting students who are facing difficulties, as well as promoting and celebrating diversity and challenging stigma. My specialist area of interest is working with people with autism and mental health difficulties. Outside of work, I am a keen crafter, and love to create crochet blankets as well as spending time with family.

Jan Gurung
I am a Wellbeing Practitioner in the team and a member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy). I have worked at SHU in the Counselling Service and now Student Wellbeing since 2009. As well as face-to-face counselling, I am a trainer in Neuro Linguistic Programming and a business Coach . I deliver study skills sessions for Student Wellbeing and emotional wellbeing training for ACES. I have a special interest in working with trauma. Outside of my university work I enjoy cycling, swimming and running with my family along with arts and crafts. I enjoy Saturday morning ‘park run’ competitions and have entered my first 10 km run. I also fund raise for Sheffield Children’s Hospital.

Dr Delroy Hall
I am one of the Wellbeing Practitioners at Student Wellbeing and have worked at SHU for many years. In my previous jobs I worked as a BT telephone engineer before embarking on counselling and psychotherapy. For me, training and being involved in counselling and psychotherapy opened up a world of previously unknown possibilities. I love the work I do and I am committed to the holistic well-being of people. I am interested in human resilience and how people survive and recover from difficult circumstances. My doctoral thesis examined the effects of protracted periods of violence and its impact on human psychology and behaviour. Outside of SHU I design, conduct and facilitate workshops/seminars on personal development and other aspects dealing with human relationships. I lead an busy life outside of the university and I am on the cusp of training for my first triathlon. I can honestly say I cannot remember the last time I was bored.

Anna Hayman
I am a Wellbeing Practitioner in the Student Wellbeing Service. My background is in mental health social work and I am a qualified Social Worker registered with the HCPC (Healthcare Professions Council). I also have 5 years’ experience of working with victims of domestic abuse. I have started my practice here in October 2017 and I really enjoy working within this very professional and diverse team. I feel very passionate about supporting and empowering students who are going through difficult times. My main areas of professional interest are: managing anxiety, self-confidence building and supporting victims of domestic and sexual violence as well as promoting relationships without abuse. In my personal life I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, watching crime/thriller and costume drama films, reading books, going for walks and socialising.

Annie Kemball
I am a Wellbeing Practitioner working with students who already have or are seeking a diagnosis in relation to mental health difficulties. I am passionate in my belief that students with difficulties should be supported to realise their full learning potential. In my spare time I like to be outdoors, either in the garden or walking in the countryside or near to the sea. I have been practising yoga for the last 20 years, which is essential in helping me to maintain physical and psychological balance and I have a strong interest in mindfulness.

Ursula Klingel
I am the Head of Student Wellbeing and manage the team. My background is in mental health social work and management and I have worked at SHU since 2009. I helped to set up the Student Wellbeing team in 2011 and have really enjoyed working with the team to make the service what it is today. We are continually improving and finding ways to offer support that is relevant, useful and practical to give students skills for making the most of their time at SHU and beyond! My interests in and outside of work are about understanding people, working co-operatively and respecting our environment. I am a regular cyclist, enjoy yoga and love animals – will offer to pet-sit anytime! I am also a member of SIGNAL, the LGBT staff network.

Matt Lowe
I’m a wellbeing practitioner in the team. I am a qualified Social Worker and have previously worked in Children and Families and Youth Justice settings.  I have also worked in the Disabled Student Support team and in other roles supporting Disabled Students within SHU before joining Student Wellbeing. I have been delivering Mental Health First Aid Training in Sheffield Hallam and across Sheffield for the past 5 years and am keen to continue this work.  I have joined the team as part of a new initiative supporting students who have experienced sexual violence and harassment, and am looking forward to developing our support in this area and raising awareness of the issue and of SHU’s response.  In my spare time I enjoy playing football and racketball.

John Masters
I am a Wellbeing Practitioner in the team and a Senior Accredited Counsellor with the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy). I have worked at SHU in the Counselling Service and now Student Wellbeing since 2001. As well as face-to-face counselling, I deliver email counselling and have a special interest in mindfulness. Outside of work, I like travelling to interesting (and preferably hot) places and learning other languages. I love playing music and have played various instruments over the years. My current passion is flamenco guitar with a bit of flute for variation.

Mary McCabe
I am a Wellbeing Practitioner at the Student Wellbeing Service and offer both wellbeing and mental health appointments. Outside SHU, I work as a counsellor in the NHS. I’m a great believer in the value of helping students improve their general wellbeing, as well as the need for counselling, mental health and chaplaincy services. If this service had existed when I was a student I would have used it! Outside work I try and maintain my wellbeing by swimming, dancing and walking, going to coffee shops, enjoying the beautiful countryside near Sheffield, being with family and friends (and my cat!), reading novels, being creative and practising Mindfulness and Christian meditation.

Jozef Sen
I am a Wellbeing Practitioner and Registered Counsellor with the BACP (British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy). I have worked at SHU since 2012 as a Lecturer, Supporter of Learning, and most recently joining the Student Wellbeing Team. As well as face-to-face counselling and support, I also coordinate the Group work & workshop offer within the service. My areas of interest are ‘wellbeing’ and academia, group therapy, and gender. I have been involved in Lecturing/Teaching and supporting Learners in Further & Higher Education for a number of years and I have worked as a counsellor within a number of different settings including the NHS, Universities, charitable organisations and, Forensic settings.

Andrea Waller
I am a Wellbeing Practitioner supporting students with mental health difficulties. I feel very privileged in my role to share some of the student’s journey through University and life in general. I have worked at SHU for 11 years, originally as a Mental Health Co-ordinator in the Disabled Student Support Team. I feel very positive about being part of the Student Wellbeing Service – celebrating diversity and tackling discrimination and stigma. My special areas of professional interest are supporting survivors of domestic and sexual violence, self-harm and promoting mental health awareness. I am an accredited Mental Health First Aid England Instructor. I appreciate and thrive on the simple things in life.

Emily Wheeler
I am a qualified counsellor who has worked in a variety of NHS, healthcare, cancer and charity settings over the last 15 years. I offer therapeutic support to students both on a one-to-one basis as well as in specialist group workshops. My interests include working with young people who are experiencing emotional distress or are living with mental health conditions including depression and anxiety. I also help clients with low self esteem, relationship and family problems, academic concerns, identity issues or experiences of loss and bereavement. Outside of work, I love Yorkshire life especially walking in the Peaks, running and slowly getting back into triathlon training (although Sheffield’s seven hills are challenging!) I’ll have a go at all sorts of creative projects and enjoy Arthouse cinema.

Inclusive Support

The Inclusive Support Service is a new team which provides practical support for students who identify as being on the autism spectrum or as having a mental health difficulty. They offer a programme of transition and orientation support for students who identify as being on the autism spectrum, including peer mentoring, online resources to help students prepare for university and one-to-one practical support sessions.

Liz Breeze
I am the Senior Inclusive Support Officer and my main role is to support students who identify as having a mental health difficulty or as being on the autism spectrum during practical support sessions on a one-to-one basis. Prior to this role I worked as a study skills tutor and enjoy working in an academic setting supporting students to reach their potential. I love to travel both in the UK and abroad whenever I get the opportunity. I enjoy spending time with friends and our dogs, and have a rather large allotment that gets me outside enjoying fresh air with the reward of home grown food, especially unusual varieties.

Laura Mella
I am the manager of the Inclusive Support Service within Student Wellbeing – a new service for students who identify has having a mental health difficulty or as being on the autism spectrum. I have worked at SHU since 2011 and before starting this role, I worked in Disabled Student Support as a disability adviser. I have a particular interest in issues around mental health disclosure in Higher Education, and completed some research on this as part of my MA in Disability Studies. In my spare time, I am a keen cyclist and cycle to university as well as doing longer rides at the weekends with social groups. I am a keen musician and play flute in a community band and wind quintet, and am currently learning the clarinet (very slowly!). I also enjoy crochet, and like to make gifts for friends and family.

Gillian Marshall
I’m a Specialist Inclusive Support Advisor in the Inclusive Support Service. My main role is to work with autistic students to develop transition, orientation and settling in activities (such as events and online resources), to develop peer mentoring and supporting students on a one-to-one basis. I’ve worked in mentoring and education at various levels, and I began working at Sheffield Hallam University in 2011. I enjoy computer games (particularly city building and planning themed), city breaks in Europe and attempting to develop my cooking skills further.

Student Wellbeing Service & Project Coordinator

Patricia Collins
As the Service & Project Co-ordinator I support all aspects of the service including the operational side, as well as managing our marketing and communications across the University. I’ve had a varied career but have always worked in the education sector, at home and abroad, both as an academic and administrator. I try to bring the best parts of my learning and experience to the work I do and I enjoy my job because it’s so varied. The best part is that it routinely feels like you are making a difference in helping the students and staff who come to our service. I love travelling in Britain or abroad but when I’m at home, my favourite things are catching up with friends over long, leisurely meals and visiting wild, open spaces.