The term ’embedding’ is one that you may be hearing more and more in relation to online teaching applications, and with good reason. It is a simple step to take that can make the way students access and interact with resources simpler and more engaging. When you cannot embed a resource there are also other ways of linking which can help create a more user friendly experience for students.
How you would do this depends on the platform that you are using but the most common method is to right click on an object or text and select ‘add hyperlink’. Alternative look for this symbol: which usually represents the option to add a hyperlink
Embedding is a way of sharing something from the web, such as a video or document, within another webpage. Rather than a link appearing that has to be clicked to access the resource, the resource itself is visible (and can be interacted with) within the destination webpage. The process of embedding does vary slightly depending on where you are embedding from and embedding is not always enabled or allowed.
Begin in the location of whatever you want to embed and look for a ‘share’ or ’embed’ button, often you will be able to select embed after clicking share. Once you click embed you will be given a long code that will look something like this:
Copy the code that is provided and then go to the destination where you would like the item to appear. The code needs to be pasted either into a specific embedding window or into an HTML text box, the locations and availability of these will vary. The steps below show how to embed a YouTube video into Blackboard once you have copied the embed code, the same steps apply to any embed code from other sources such as Padlet.
- In the section you would like the video to be embedded in the blackboard site click build content and select the ‘Item’ option.
- When in the ‘Item’ option click the button above the textbox that says ‘HTML’ the box indicated below will then open.
- Copy and paste the embed link into the HTML code view box and click update.
- You should now see a translucent yellow box in the text box. this indicates the video has embedded. Press submit to complete.
- The you tube video should now be embedded in the selected section of your blackboard site. The video will appear at the bottom of the page of that section.